TAIPEI, Taiwan: Chinese-Canadian pop star Kris Wu has been detained by Beijing police on suspicion of rape, police announced Saturday (Jul 31), following an accusation the former member of the Korean boy band EXO lured young women into sexual relationships.
Wu, 30, earlier was accused by a teenager of having sex with her while she was drunk. Wu denied the accusation.
The teenager said seven other women contacted her to say Wu seduced them with promises of jobs and other opportunities. She said some were under 18 but gave no indication whether they were younger than China’s age of consent of 14.
Wu has been "criminally detained” on suspicion of rape “in response to relevant information reported on the Internet” including that he "repeatedly lured young women to have sexual relations," the police statement said. It gave no other details.
The teenager publicised her accusations on social media and later in an interview with Internet portal NetEase. A day after that interview appeared, at least 10 brands including Porsche and Louis Vuitton broke off endorsement and other deals with Wu.
"There was no 'groupie sex'! There was no 'underage'!" Wu wrote last month on his social media account. "If there were this kind of thing, please everyone relax, I would put myself in jail!"
The teenager and Wu both said they had asked authorities to investigate.
Saturday’s statement didn’t mention that case and gave no information about the status of that investigation.
- Pop star girlfriend of murdered South African football captain falls under suspicion after police reveal she had spoken to 'hitman' who shot her lover
- Disney condemned for filming new Mulan movie in Chinese region where a million Uighurs are imprisoned in brutal camps
- Chinese virologist who fled to US after coronavirus cover-up claims vows to publish evidence PROVING virus is manmade
- Hong Kong Police Arrest Pro-Democracy Politicians
- What’s Ariana Grande’s net worth and how much has she raised for the Manchester bombing victims?
- Prince Reigns
- How The Kardashians Spent Years Destroying The Show At The Center Of Their Empire
- 100 Monumental Novels From Literary History
- Peter Thiel Met With The Racist Fringe As He Went All In On Trump
- What is TikTok? And what does President Trump have to do with it?
- TV crew's Pinkerton security guard shoots 'Patriot Muster' protester dead after he fired mace at him amid angry clashes between BLM and right wing demonstrators in Denver
- Real-Life Cops, and Me
- Donald Trump ADMITS he downplayed coronavirus after bombshell Bob Woodward tapes reveal he KNEW it was deadly saying he didn't want to 'cause panic' - and claims he was trying to 'show strength in the nation'
Chinese pop star Kris Wu detained on suspicion of rape have 470 words, post on www.channelnewsasia.com at July 31, 2021. This is cached page on Business News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.