SINGAPORE – A seaman with Covid-19 died of complications from the virus on Sunday (Aug 1), said the Ministry of Health (MOH) in its update on Monday night.
The 34-year-old man from Ukraine was a sea crew member who arrived in Singapore on board a vessel on July 29.
He had developed a fever, cough and lethargy on July 25, and breathlessness on July 31.
He was taken from the vessel to the Singapore General Hospital on Aug 1, and was confirmed to have Covid-19 infection the same day.
The latest case brings the total number of Covid-19 deaths here to 38.
There were also 10 new Covid-19 clusters reported on Monday, and they were all linked to previous cases.
The total number of active clusters now numbers 93, and they have between three and 1,072 infections.
Meanwhile, there are 36 patients who require oxygen supplementation, up from 35.
The number of people in critical condition in the intensive care unit has decreased from eight to seven.
Among these 43 seriously ill cases, four are fully vaccinated.
Of the vaccinated cases, three require oxygen supplementation while one is in the intensive care unit.
In total, there were 106 new locally transmitted Covid-19 cases reported on Monday, including 24 from the cluster linked to Jurong Fishery Port.
This brings the total number of cases in the largest open cluster to 1,072.
Of the locally transmitted cases, 16 were linked to previous cases and detected through surveillance while 25 were unlinked.
The remaining 65 were linked to previous cases and had already been placed on quarantine.
There were another five imported cases who had been placed on stay-home notice or isolated on arrival in Singapore.
The total number of cases here stands at 65,213.
MOH said that as at Sunday, 62 per cent of the population has received two doses of a Covid-19 vaccine under the national vaccination programme, while 77 per cent has received at least one dose.
In total, 7,638,279 doses of Covid-19 vaccines have been administered under the national vaccination programme, covering 4,313,182 people.
Altogether, 3,448,193 people have completed the full vaccination regimen.
In addition, 107,730 doses of Sinovac vaccines have been administered as at Sunday, covering 74,935 people.
MOH said 602 patients are hospitalised, and most are well and under observation.
Thirty-one seniors aged above 60 – of whom 28 are completely unvaccinated or partially vaccinated – have fallen very ill.
MOH also said on Monday that it has concluded Covid-19 testing for residents of Block 556 Ang Mo Kio Avenue 10.
A total of 532 individuals were tested.
So far, 520 individuals have tested negative, while 11 tested positive. The result of the remaining person is pending.
- Mark Zuckerberg just turned 34 years old. Here are 33 photos of Facebook's rise from a Harvard dorm room to world domination.
- Why this 7-year-old can't go anywhere near unvaccinated children
- 5-year-old kids are learning to survive school shootings with a nursery rhyme to the tune of 'Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star'
- The 29-year-old 'suicidal male' who stole a plane in Seattle and later crashed it had full security clearance
- The US Marine Corps is 242 years old -- here are 42 striking photos of its storied history
- New Jersey social media champ Young King Dave dies at 19
- Coast Guard medevacs 89-year-old off Carnival cruise ship as it heads for Jamaica
- Body of four-year-old passenger of ill-fated boat in Alor found
- The key to an Anthony Davis trade may be a 20-year-old Celtics player who has the entire saga in limbo
- 106-year-old woman with desire to vote becomes a citizen on Election Day
- Member of First All-Black Group to Climb Mount Kilimanjaro Recounts Feat in Fascinating Blog Post
- ISIS brides from Canada, the US and Europe, are asking to return home years after fleeing for Syria. Here are their stories.
- The Tech Whiz Behind Vine and HQ Trivia Made Millions in His 20s. He Was Dead by 34
- 'One giant leap': US marks Apollo mission 50 years on
- From Costa Rica to New Jersey, a pipeline of illegal workers for Trump goes back years
- Commercial Aviation Industry Had Safest Year In History In 2017: Report
- Society 2018 – the year that was in Tuoi Tre photos 2018 – the year that was in Tuoi Tre photos
- Society 2018 – the year that was in Tuoi Tre photos Ho Chi Minh City police launch special unit to combat street crime
- Society 2018 – the year that was in Tuoi Tre photos Olive tree skink hunting a good side job in southern Vietnam
- Society 2018 – the year that was in Tuoi Tre photos Overwhelming kindness is what we love about Vietnam: expats
34-year-old Ukrainian sea crew member dies from Covid-19 complications in S'pore have 720 words, post on www.straitstimes.com at August 3, 2021. This is cached page on Business News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.