A €300,000 (£257,000) reward is being offered by the Greek government to track down burglars who strangled a British woman next to her baby in Athens.
The 20-year-old victim was sleeping with her husband and 11-month-old child when three men broke into their home in the Glyka Nera suburb before dawn after killing the family’s dog, said reports.
The young mother was tied up and strangled, while her 32-year-old husband, a pilot, was bound and gagged.
He survived Tuesday’s “barbaric” attack and managed to loosen his ties before calling police.
The burglars escaped with money and jewellery, while the baby was unharmed.
Greece’s minister responsible for public order, Michalis Chrisochoidis, described the woman’s killing as “particularly heinous”.
“One rarely encounters such barbarity in Greece, in Greek society, even among criminals,” he said.
More on Greece
- COVID-19: Mykonos bans music in bars and restaurants and starts night-time curfew after surge in cases
- Greece: Police find stolen Picasso and Mondrian paintings taken in 2012 Athens gallery heist
- Caroline Crouch death: Pilot accused of murdering British wife tells Greek court: ‘I ruined my life’
- Caroline Crouch death: Husband placed baby next to British wife he murdered in effort to fake crime scene, say Greek police
- Caroline Crouch death: Husband admits killing wife after previously blaming robbers, Greek police say
- Greek dog owners protest against plans that would make sterilisation of pets mandatory
The victim was born in Greece but had a British passport, according to police, who said she was married to a Greek man.
Two teams of detectives are investigating the deadly incident.
- Focus of Mother and Baby Homes investigation has moved onto headline-generating institutions
- Jail killer forever, says mother
- Killer son 'sent back from hospital'
- Forgotten serial killer who butchered a priest with an axe and is UK’s longest serving prisoner could be freed
- Athens Slams BBC over ‘Greece’s Macedonian Minority’ Report
- Some refugees are now integrated. Can Greece's economy keep up?
- Best reward and cashback credit cards in the UK – as Apple announces iPhone credit card
- Police offer £20,000 reward in hunt for gunmen who killed 16-year-old boy
- British woman in Spain arrested over murder of homeless Romanian man with no legs who was strangled and set on fire
- Former Gogglebox star appeals to catch nephew's killers two years after Croydon stabbing
- Family want to travel from Colombia to bring Newry murder victims home
- Prison failings enabled killer to take own life
- Inside woodland lair where brutal killer hid from police for a month
- Cook these tasty breakfast and lunch recipes for Mum to show you care this Mother’s Day
- Avalanche risk ends Russian mountaineers’ assistance in British climber search
- Family want to travel from Colombia to bring suspected murder-suicide victims home
- Fawlty Towers tops the all-time best British sitcoms list — but what else made top 20?
- Speedboat killer Jack Shepherd arrives in UK to serve jail term
- First British recruit to join Isis with suspected links to western kidnappings revealed as Londoner Hudaifa Elgerbouzi
- We surprise a very special Sun Saver with a Mother’s Day treat and get some bargain-hunting tips — plus Hols From £15 are back
Greece: £257,000 reward offered to catch killers who strangled British mother, 20, in her Athens home have 504 words, post on news.sky.com at May 12, 2021. This is cached page on Business News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.