advertisement advertisement advertisement It's really hard to create buttons, sneaker soles, spandex, and zipper teeth without virgin plastic. Just ask Everlane. advertisement advertisement In 2018, the fashion label made a radical commitment to eliminate all virgin plastic from its supply chain by the end of 2021. As Everlane approaches the deadline, the brand has cut out 90% of virgin plastic, but the remaining 10% is proving tricky, as global recycling and manufacturing systems are not set up to address specialized objects (such as zipper teeth). The plastic problem There is good reason for Everlane to focus on that last 10%. Creating plastic from oil generates carbon emissions, which accelerates climate change. Once the material is made, it does not biodegrade, so it stays in our landfills and oceans for hundreds of years, breaking into microscopic fragments that end up in our food chain. While consumers tend to be aware of the plastic in their straws, food packaging, or grocery bags, many are not aware that much of their closet is also made up of plastic, since synthetic materials, such as spandex and polyester, are plastic. "We wanted to draw attention to fashion's plastic problem," says Michael Preysman, Everlane's CEO. "But… Read full this story
- Ruthless Mexican cartel led by DEA's most-wanted fugitive is "taking over everywhere"
- Flour power: meet the bread heads baking a better loaf
- In Mexico, a cartel is taking over: Jalisco New Generation
- A robot vacuum is a work-from-home companion that can keep you healthy
- Ruthless new drug cartel Jalisco New Generation is taking over Mexico: Gang who once took down a military helicopter with a grenade launcher win over civilians with promises to spare them from violence
- The Made In America Movement Driven By Innovation, Not Nationalism
- Farming along polluted waters of the Vrishabhavathi
Why it’s so hard to eliminate plastic from the supply chain have 297 words, post on www.fastcompany.com at April 20, 2021. This is cached page on Business Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.