The Reverend Sharon Risher had never dwelled much on the death penalty. That changed when her mother Ethel Lee Lance, two cousins and a childhood friend, along with six others, were shot dead at the Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church in Charleston, South Carolina on June 17, 2015. Almost six years on, their killer— white supremacist Dylann Roof —is languishing on federal death row. But Reverend Risher doesn’t want him executed. “I was just like everybody else [who] believed in the death penalty,” she told Newsweek . “It wasn’t so much about supporting the death penalty… it was never something that you had to really think about. “And then when I had to think about it, and be a part of something, that’s when I realized, after praying and thinking and doing some research, I realized the death penalty doesn’t really do any good for anybody. “My mother and my family members are already gone. What is the death penalty gonna do for us? If the death penalty was going to bring my mother back, then I would be all for that.” Since the Charleston church massacre, Risher joined the Everytown Survivor Network and Moms Demand Action to campaign for… Read full this story
- Third Dylann Roof Fan Arrested in Past Week for Threatening to Kill
- Extraordinary last words of death row killers - from dark humour to threats
- Tennessee executes longest serving death row inmate using electric chair
- 10 brutal killers on California death row who have been saved by execution moratorium
- After Years of Delays and No Execution Date in Sight, a Death Row Inmate Takes His Life
- Federal jury sentences Dylann Roof to death
- These Men are Fighting to Abolish the Death Penalty—From Death Row
- Indiana death row holds 11 prisoners
- Death row interview: Denied two executions, Dozier says waiting for death is 'torture'
- From death row to freedom: Rodricus Crawford looks to future
Dylann Roof Massacred Her Family—Here's Why She Wants Him Off Death Row have 309 words, post on www.newsweek.com at March 1, 2021. This is cached page on Business Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.