advertisement advertisement advertisement Sometimes it seems like cities were designed to kill birds. Take for instance the single night in October when more than 1,000 birds were killed when they collided with buildings in the city of Philadelphia. Due to a combination of confusing reflections from building windows, disorienting light pollution, and the location of tall buildings in the direct flight paths and habitats of many birds, deadly collisions—sometimes in mass numbers— are depressingly common . Researchers estimate that collisions with buildings cause up to one billion bird deaths in the United States every year. advertisement advertisement The Bird-Friendly City: Creating Safe Urban Habitats , by Timothy Beatley. Citing new policies, building materials, and DIY designs, Beatley shows how urban environments can be tweaked to allow birds to live and thrive in human-centric spaces. Beatley , a professor at the University of Virginia School of Architecture, has done extensive research into sustainable communities and urban planning, and in recent years, he has focused on the concept of biophilia , or how humans benefit from contact with the natural world. Better integrating nature into cities is good for people, but our buildings and cities aren't always built in a way that's… Read full this story
- Make Toronto Islands an officially designated bird sanctuary, group asks
- Electric scooter service Bird eyes Toronto market
- It’s a summer of endless possibilities at Filinvest City
- Director Brad Bird finds his inner Edna mode
- Filinvest City: Stress-free living in Metro South
- The uniquely relaxed yet cosmopolitan lifestyle in Filinvest City
- Inaugural Bintaro Design District Festival opens dialogue between designers, pub...
- How Nuvali became Ayala Land’s flagship eco-city
- Alessandro Colombo's: Designs against destruction
- All new HDB projects to feature nature-centric designs
Why cities should be designed for birds have 278 words, post on www.fastcompany.com at February 8, 2021. This is cached page on Business Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.