advertisement advertisement advertisement Timnit Gebru—a giant in the world of AI and then co-lead of Google's AI ethics team—was pushed out of her job in December. advertisement advertisement Gebru had been fighting with the company over a research paper that she'd coauthored, which explored the risks of the AI models that the search giant uses to power its core products—the models are involved in almost every English query on Google , for instance. The paper called out the potential biases (racial, gender, Western, and more) of these language models, as well as the outsize carbon emissions required to compute them. Google wanted the paper retracted, or any Google-affiliated authors' names taken off; Gebru said she would do so if Google would engage in a conversation about the decision. Instead, her team was told that she had resigned. After the company abruptly announced Gebru's departure, Google AI chief Jeff Dean insinuated that her work was not up to snuff—despite Gebru's credentials and history of groundbreaking research . The backlash was immediate. Thousands of Googlers and outside researchers leaped to her defense and charged Google with attempting to marginalize its critics , particularly those from underrepresented backgrounds. A champion of diversity and… Read full this story
- 5 Google Pixel Camera Software Features You Should Be Using
- LA prosecutors charge Harvey Weinstein with raping a woman at a hotel and sexually assaulting another the following night just five days before the 2013 Oscars where he appeared with his pregnant wife - as his New York trial finally gets underway
- 5 Hidden Chrome for Android Tweaks That You Need to Try
- Bill Buckley Gets Bigger Over Time
- ‘The View’ Criticizes Hillary Clinton Over Defense Of Bill Clinton’s Sexual Misconduct Accusations [VIDEO]
- Facebook says it will continue to run political ads on the social network even if they contain LIES - despite Google and Twitter banning them
- Britney Spears granted restraining order against former manager Sam Lutfi after claims he's been texting her mother and inciting fans with #freebritney movement
- No Logo at 20: have we lost the battle against the total branding of our lives?
- 'PROSECUTE senior fire officers over Grenfell': Families call for London fire chief Dany Cotton to lose £2m pension and face criminal charges as report lays bare 'gravely inadequate' planning before tragedy
- The Best VR Headsets for 2020
‘This is bigger than just Timnit’: How Google tried to silence a critic and ignited a movement have 389 words, post on www.fastcompany.com at February 26, 2021. This is cached page on Business Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.