advertisement advertisement advertisement Over the last decade there has been a reckoning over how digital companies collect personal data, what they do with it, and whether or not they're capable of protecting it. Online data collection is still not regulated at the federal level in the U.S. But states are slowly embracing policies to ensure that digital companies protect their users—or at least introduce more transparency. advertisement advertisement Illinois led the way in 2008 with the Biometric Information Privacy Act, a law that lets Illinois residents sue companies that collect their biometric data (face scans, fingerprints, etc.) without their consent. After Europe passed the General Data Protection Regulation in 2016, which entitles people to obtain any data collected on them and have their records deleted, California decided to use it as a framework for its own law. Two years later it introduced its version of the GDPR, called the California Consumer Privacy Act . California has since passed an amendment , called the California Privacy Rights Act, that clarifies the original law and adds a governing body called the California Privacy Protection Agency that can bring action against violators. The original CCPA has now inspired several look-alike laws in other… Read full this story
- Biker used Google’s location data for tracking rides and that turned him into a burglary suspect
- Innocent cyclist became a burglary suspect when cops used his Google data and found he was riding past the house during a break-in
- Theresa May wrong to pass spy law, and DRIPA opinion proves it—MP says
- The Record of Human Rights Violations in the United States in 2019
- Paul Ryan-Patty Murray Bill Will Allow Creation of National Database, Parent Activists Say
- 'My search for the boy in a child abuse video'
- 'The new normal': China's excessive coronavirus public monitoring could be here to stay
- Yet another bill seeks to weaken encryption-by-default on smartphones
- Identity management 101: How digital identity works in 2020
- Scott Morrison in virus crisis talks as Grand Prix canned and Disneyland shut
These states are on track to pass data privacy laws this year have 327 words, post on www.fastcompany.com at February 24, 2021. This is cached page on Business Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.