advertisement advertisement advertisement Saru Jayaraman likes to say the restaurant industry had a "pre-existing condition" long before the pandemic. "It was already the nation's second largest private sector employer with the absolute lowest wage jobs of any industry," says Jayaraman, the cofounder and president of One Fair Wage . The pandemic only exacerbated the financial insecurity of working in the restaurant industry—but with the added threat of contracting a dangerous virus. "Millions and millions of these workers were forced to go back to work before they felt safe or ready because they got no benefits, [and] they had no choice," she says. "And what our data has shown is that when they went back to work, it was a nightmare." advertisement advertisement A report by One Fair Wage found that nearly half of food service workers had at least one coworker who contracted COVID-19. More than 80% of them saw their tips decline during the pandemic, and a majority said their tips fell further when they enforced COVID-19 protocols with customers. The pandemic also amplified the sexual harassment and misconduct endemic to the industry. "Worst of all, 40% of workers reported that sexual harassment went way up," Jayaraman says. "Hundreds and… Read full this story
- Minimum wage may not be ready by Sept, says Ngige
- Issues around minimum wage demands
- Nigeria’s proposed minimum wage: A utopian goal?
- For chefs and servers, minimum wage hike changes tipping
- CBC announces 1,300-page bill calling for free tuition at Community College; $15 minimum wage
- 25% still on minimum wage after four years
- Future of minimum wage bill uncertain
- Vermont House passes minimum wage hike
- Sarah Jessica Parker’s minimum-wage gala kept under wraps to thwart protesters
- Capitol Roundup: Bump Stocks Ban Passes; House Leaders Uncertain Sexual Harassment, Minimum Wage Bills Will Pass
A $15 federal minimum wage would reshape the lives of working people. Can Biden deliver? have 301 words, post on www.fastcompany.com at February 10, 2021. This is cached page on Business Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.