advertisement advertisement advertisement When asked to describe how they feel about meetings, many professionals will use the same language : "boring," "inefficient," and "unproductive." While these descriptors may ring true for some, they do not ring true for all. For some, meetings aren't boring—they're stressful . They aren't inefficient—they're isolating . They aren't unproductive—they're confusing . advertisement advertisement If you are joining a meeting where people are different from you, whether in terms of race, ethnicity, gender, sex, sexual orientation, ability, religion, age, language proficiency, socioeconomic background, education, degree of introversion, level of seniority, or other characteristics, then your identity can influence not only how others see you, but also how you see yourself . What if you are an introvert among extroverts; a woman within a male-dominated work environment; a non-native English speaker among native speakers? There are even less-obvious distinctions that can set you apart, like being someone who didn't get hired from a "target" school or failing to find common ground with your coworkers in terms of life experience. The self-doubt and imposter syndrome can be paralyzing. Unspoken rules and hidden expectations only make meetings more challenging to navigate. What is my unspoken role in this meeting—to… Read full this story
- 3 Free Templates to Keep Meetings on Track and Useful
- Corps of Engineers, KCS railroad reach deal on bridge, clearing potential delay to Comite Diversion
- From Ukraine to Iran: Key Issues Putin and Macron Will Discuss at Bilateral Meeting in France
- Peter Capaldi on Diversity and 'Doctor Who': 'It Should Reflect the Times'
- Actress Alyssa Milano hugs US Senator Ted Cruz after 'civil' meeting over the Second Amendment and reveals their talk left her 'optimistic' about the prospect of gun reform
- North Korea's Kim Jong Un Crosses the Border, Makes History in Meeting With South Korean President
- Childfree: Meet the women who don't want to become mums
- Hanoi should ensure exclusive bus lanes meet benchmarks before launch: expert
- ‘Safe space’ for white men offered at SF diversity workshop
- Roman Polanski and the man who invented masochism
5 inventive meeting formats to encourage more diverse discussions have 352 words, post on www.fastcompany.com at February 10, 2021. This is cached page on Business Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.