The Left Democratic Front (LDF) appeared set to gain control of all the standing committees in the city Corporation after elections to the committees were held on Tuesday. The LDF placed seven members in most of the committees, which have a maximum of 12 or 13 members each, ensuring a majority.Elections were held to the eight standing committees of the Corporation. With the opposition Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) also fielding the maximum number of councillors in the finance, tax appeal and education standing committees, separate elections had to be held for each of these committees. No election was required in the works standing committee as only the required number of members submitted nominations from various parties. The BJP was hoping to take advantage of a reported rift within the LDF, as the Communist Party of India (CPI) was unhappy with the Communist Party of India (Marxist) [CPI(M)]’s plan to take the chairperson’s post in most standing committees. The CPI only has the finance standing committee, which Deputy Mayor P.K. Raju will head. The tax appeals standing committee chairperson post is to be shared between the four smaller LDF constituent parties — Congress (S), Indian National League (INL), Janata Dal (Secular)… Read full this story
- ‘Wind River’ Makers On Wresting Control From Weinstein: “If My Movie’s Going To Die, I’ll Be The One To Kill It” – Watch
- No decision on countrywide roll-out of NRC: MHA to Parl panel
- Green panel asks Delhi, Rajasthan & Haryana to adopt UP model for dust control
- FlexiSpot EN1 Adjustable Standing Desk Review: No more sitting around
- Florida Democrat Pushes for Repeal of ‘Stand Your Ground’
- Republic Day like no other: Here's how the events unfolded
- The best Nintendo Switch controllers for 2021
- Heathrow passengers fume as they STILL face queues of more than an hour at border control as travellers blast 'no social distancing' on busy flights
- Blacks in High-Crime Areas ‘Most Likely Beneficiaries of Stand Your Ground Laws’
- Ladakh Stand-off: 'It is a game of patience'
LDF likely to get control of all standing panels have 328 words, post on www.thehindu.com at January 12, 2021. This is cached page on Business Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.