Listen to this article
The Chevrolet Corvette C8 has not had the smoothest of starts. A UAW strike in late 2019 delayed its initial production start only to have the coronavirus shut down factories worldwide in early 2020, further hindering the new Corvette's already disrupted build schedule. Now, it appears that production for the iconic sports car is facing yet another delay, though this time it's due to unspecified supply chain issues.
CorvetteForum.com member Robert Frey alleges on the site that he'd received a note from the National Corvette Museum saying that the factory would suspend Corvette production starting next week. Chevy confirmed that news to CorvetteBlogger.com , saying, in part, "Due to a temporary parts supply issue, we can confirm that Bowling Green Assembly will not run production the week of February 1." The automaker told the publication that it's working to mitigate any future delays and that it expects production to resume on Monday, February 8.
Gallery: 2020 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible: First Drive Review
The news of another delay comes as the worldwide automotive industry faces a shortage of computer chips. Ford, Jeep, and Volkswagen have all had to recently suspend production at various factories due to the shortage, according to a January 12 NPR report. The increased demand for computer chips in the consumer electronics market has constrained the supply for every industry as more people are stuck at home for work and school. CorvetteBlogger.com notes that this is the factory's third shutdown due to supply issues, though it's unclear if the latest one is related to the global chip shortage.
Check Out The Latest Corvette News:
The coronavirus pandemic shuttered the Bowling Green factory in early 2020 to help slow the virus' spread, though production for the iconic sports car never entirely stopped. GM kept its Bedford, Indiana plant operating last year to continue building the Corvette chassis ; however, the automaker did reduce the workforce there from the usual 250 to 20. The virus has also failed to stop Corvette deliveries from occurring.
- Five ‘Drawbacks’ Of The Chevy Corvette C8 Explained On Video
- Watch Corvette C8 Get Dusted By Tesla Model 3 Performance In Drag Race
- GM Suggests Owners To Blame For C8 Corvette Frunk Opening While Moving
- Toyota Temporarily Halts Production At Its Bidadi Plant: Read More To Find Out
- Save up to 20% off Hive products in Amazon's Summer Sale - including £46.01 off Hive Active Heating and Hot Water Thermostat
- Tulane students warned of suspension or expulsion for partying in groups larger than 15
- Top Bike News Of The Week: Important Highlights From Two-Wheeler Space From Previous Week
- Paris Haute Couture: Designers get creative for couture under lockdown
- Mercedes admits no quick fix for "complex" gearbox issues
- Spain is open! The first Brits touch down for some sun as price of a one-week holiday drops to £300 and beaches open to holidaymakers TODAY
- L.A. Stagehands Local 33 Co-Chief Ron Valentine’s Harrowing Account Of Early Days Of Shutdown & Herculean Efforts To Get Town Back To Work
- Delayed use of Defense Production Act leads to ongoing shortages of protective gear
- 'I was desperate to be thin': Holly Hagan SLAMS weight loss jabs as she recounts her experiences with the 'dangerous' products and vows never to promote them on social media
- ViacomCBS CEO Says Keeping Offices Closed This Year Will Help “Critical” Task Of Getting Back Into Production
- Photo of Donald Trump with Goya products sparks fury, mockery
- Farmers get impatient with Trump's trade war: 'This can't go on'
- Unilever's 'Fair & Lovely' to get makeover after backlash
- John Lewis, Debenhams and bookmakers gear up to reopen next week when High Street lockdown eases on June 15 as new facemask law comes in on public transport
- Get ready for an awful earnings season
- Start your week smart: Tulsa, Bastille Day, Trump, Twitter, Eric Garner anniversary
Corvette C8 Production Gets One-Week Suspension Due To Supplier Issues have 663 words, post on www.motor1.com at January 29, 2021. This is cached page on Business News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.