Representative image: Reuters
The total number of people in India who have been infected by the new United Kingdom strain of SARS-Cov-2 has risen to 82, the health ministry said on January 8.
The number of people infected by the new variant of the novel coronavirus, that causes COVID-19, stood at 73 till January 6, it added.
“The total number of cases infected with the new strain of the novel coronavirus, first reported in the UK, now stands at 82," the ministry said.
The ministry also said that India continues to report low daily cases with 18,139 infections being added in the previous 24 hours. The active caseload also continued to decline, falling to 2.25 lakh.
Frequently Asked Questions
A vaccine works by mimicking a natural infection. A vaccine not only induces immune response to protect people from any future COVID-19 infection, but also helps quickly build herd immunity to put an end to the pandemic. Herd immunity occurs when a sufficient percentage of a population becomes immune to a disease, making the spread of disease from person to person unlikely. The good news is that SARS-CoV-2 virus has been fairly stable, which increases the viability of a vaccine.
There are broadly four types of vaccine — one, a vaccine based on the whole virus (this could be either inactivated, or an attenuated [weakened] virus vaccine); two, a non-replicating viral vector vaccine that uses a benign virus as vector that carries the antigen of SARS-CoV; three, nucleic-acid vaccines that have genetic material like DNA and RNA of antigens like spike protein given to a person, helping human cells decode genetic material and produce the vaccine; and four, protein subunit vaccine wherein the recombinant proteins of SARS-COV-2 along with an adjuvant (booster) is given as a vaccine.
Vaccine development is a long, complex process. Unlike drugs that are given to people with a diseased, vaccines are given to healthy people and also vulnerable sections such as children, pregnant women and the elderly. So rigorous tests are compulsory. History says that the fastest time it took to develop a vaccine is five years, but it usually takes double or sometimes triple that time.
All people who are testing positive for the new variant of the virus are being kept in single-room isolation at designated healthcare facilities by the respective state governments, the ministry had said earlier. Their close contacts have also been put under quarantine.
“A comprehensive contact-tracing exercise has been initiated for their co-travellers, family members and others and genome sequencing on other specimens is going on,” the ministry said.
The situation is being closely monitored and regular advice is being provided to the states for enhanced surveillance, containment, testing and dispatch of samples to INSACOG laboratories.
The presence of the new variant of the virus, first reported in the UK, has already been reported by several countries, including Denmark, the Netherlands, Australia, Italy, Sweden, France, Spain, Switzerland, Germany, Canada, Japan, Lebanon and Singapore.
(With PTI inputs)
- India reports first case of Coronavirus; Kerala woman tests positive
- No positive case of coronavirus so far in India, says Health Ministry
- Coronavirus: Nine people tested for deadly virus in the UK as officials launch desperate hunt for 2,000 Chinese arrivals
- Three Japanese citizens evacuated from Wuhan test POSITIVE for new coronavirus that has killed 170 - as the Philippines and India become the latest countries to confirm cases
- 29,707 passengers screened at airports for novel coronavirus infection till Sunday, says health ministry
- Kerala nurse in Saudi tested positive for coronavirus; CM writes to EAM
- Health ministry confirms India’s first case of coronavirus in Kerala
- First cases of coronavirus are diagnosed in Britain as two English patients from the same family test positive for the killer Chinese virus
- Health Ministry urges people to come forward and report coronavirus symptoms, sets up helpline
- Kerala confirms 3rd case of coronavirus; Union Health Ministry issues fresh travel advisory
- Indian nurse tested positive for coronavirus in Saudi Arabia not infected with Wuhan strain: Indian Consulate in Jeddah
- Coronavirus | In Kerala, student of Wuhan University tests positive
- Coronavirus could ALREADY be in the UK, leading doctor warns as she says it is 'absolutely critical' NHS doctors and nurses are ready for the first case
- Coronavirus family members who tested positive were Yorkshire hotel guests
- Chinese tourist in Sri Lanka tests positive for Coronavirus
- How to protect yourself from coronavirus as first two cases hit UK and fears grow of spread
- York University student is one of two in UK to test positive for coronavirus
- India to ban e-cigarettes; health ministry considers them 'drugs'
- Coronavirus: Hotel in York confirms two UK victims were guests
- Coronavirus 'could hit many UK cities' expert warns after 14 people tested in Britain
Coronavirus | 82 people have tested positive for new UK mutant strain in India so far: Health Ministry have 824 words, post on www.moneycontrol.com at January 8, 2021. This is cached page on Business News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.