Falling interest rates have hurt equity savings and conservative hybrid fund (erstwhile monthly income plans) investors. It has been a double whammy for them. On the one hand, the expected returns are headed lower and, on the other hand, expenses are sticky at the higher end. Investors have to either make peace with low returns or invest in specific bond and equity schemes to benefit from lower expenses and thereby earn a bit more.Falling returns and sticky expensesConservative hybrid funds invest 10-25 percent of their assets in stocks and the rest in bonds. These schemes are taxed like bond funds. Equity savings funds invest around 30-35 per cent in equities and 30-35 percent in bonds. The remaining amount is invested in spot-futures arbitrage opportunities in equities, such that the gross exposure to equities is kept at a minimum of 65 percent. The objective is to qualify for the taxation of equity funds.Close related news Personal Finance | Why a roll-down strategy of bond funds helps reduce, but not eliminate, interest rate volatility Fund review: Should you invest in Franklin India Feeder-Franklin US Opportunities Fund? How to choose the right hybrid fund based on your investment horizon Over the three years… Read full this story
- High-risk, high-expense security for celebrities plagued by stalkers
- MF wrap: Mutual fund schemes emerging as popular long-term retirement avenue
- Mutual fund categories that can replace your FDs
- High liquidity driving ‘concentrated’ market rally: Sunil Subramaniam
- Should retail mutual fund investors choose ETFs and FoFs?
- Retirement mutual funds AUM increase 24% in Apr–Jan
- Mutual fund managers buy small- & midcap stocks
- Retirement funds AUM jumps 24.5% to Rs 10,425 cr in Apr-Jan
- Mutual funds log Rs 1.2 lakh cr inflow on infusion in liquid schemes
- Can I invest in these mutual funds for 10-15 years?
How high expense ratios are eating into the returns of debt-oriented hybrid funds have 298 words, post on www.moneycontrol.com at November 2, 2020. This is cached page on Business Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.