India recorded 10.6 lakh COVID-19 in the first 13 days of September, making it the country with the world’s fastest-growing caseload. During the same period, India’s death toll from the disease, caused by the novel coronavirus, surged by 13,298.
The country recorded a single-day spike of over 90,000 COVID-19 cases almost every day in the last week.
On September 1, India’s overall tally stood at 36.9 lakh which included 65,288 deaths. However, on September 13, it had surged to 47.5 lakh. The fatalities stood at 78,586.
Frequently Asked Questions
A vaccine works by mimicking a natural infection. A vaccine not only induces immune response to protect people from any future COVID-19 infection, but also helps quickly build herd immunity to put an end to the pandemic. Herd immunity occurs when a sufficient percentage of a population becomes immune to a disease, making the spread of disease from person to person unlikely. The good news is that SARS-CoV-2 virus has been fairly stable, which increases the viability of a vaccine.
There are broadly four types of vaccine — one, a vaccine based on the whole virus (this could be either inactivated, or an attenuated [weakened] virus vaccine); two, a non-replicating viral vector vaccine that uses a benign virus as vector that carries the antigen of SARS-CoV; three, nucleic-acid vaccines that have genetic material like DNA and RNA of antigens like spike protein given to a person, helping human cells decode genetic material and produce the vaccine; and four, protein subunit vaccine wherein the recombinant proteins of SARS-COV-2 along with an adjuvant (booster) is given as a vaccine.
Vaccine development is a long, complex process. Unlike drugs that are given to people with a diseased, vaccines are given to healthy people and also vulnerable sections such as children, pregnant women and the elderly. So rigorous tests are compulsory. History says that the fastest time it took to develop a vaccine is five years, but it usually takes double or sometimes triple that time.
During this period, Maharashtra – the worst-affected state in the country – crossed the 10 lakh COVID-19 cases mark from what was just under 8 lakh.
India’s tally also surged past that of Brazil to become the second worst-affected country, behind the United States.
However, India’s recovery rate has also steadily improved to 77.9 percent. That translates to 37 lakh total recoveries from the disease in the country so far. The case fatality rate also remains well below 2 percent, significantly lower than some of the other major country with a similarly high caseload.
- Karnataka Govt Announces ex-Gratia of Rs 10 Lakh to Next of Kin of 2 Killed in Mangaluru
- INX Media case: CBI seeks 5-day custody of Peter Mukerjea
- Bigg Boss 13 Day 82 Written Updates: Salman Loses Calm on Rashami-Sidharth, Asks Them to Let Go
- Bigg Boss 13 Day 81 Written Updates: Sidharth, Rashami's Ugly Fight Brings House to Standstill
- Collecting ₹13 for carry bag costs Domino’s ₹10 lakh
- India's top court rejects review petition of convict in 2012 Delhi gang-rape case, upholds death penalty
- Bigg Boss 13 Day 77 Written Updates: Mahira-Vishal Lock Horns, Shehnaz Fights with Paras, Sidharth
- Delhi Anaj Mandi fire: Court sends co-owners, manager to 13-day judicial custody
- Eight of top-10 cos add Rs 1.13 lakh crore in m-cap; TCS tops chart
- Eight of Top-10 Companies Add Rs 1.13 Lakh Crore in M-cap, TCS Tops Chart
- Eight of top 10 companies add Rs 1.13 lakh crore in m-cap; TCS tops chart
- Morning Digest: India, China to intensify boundary settlement; Death toll touches 16 in U.P. as anti-CAA protests continue, and more
- Egyptian anger grows after latest case of death by torture
- Crysis Wars: 13-Day Aged Prime-Cut Trailer
- Explained | A long wait for justice: Why very few death-row convicts are hanged?
- Kuldeep Sengar gets life in jail for raping teenager in Unnao, fined Rs 25 lakh
- 2017 Unnao Rape Case: Kuldeep Sengar Jailed For Life, Fined Rs 25 Lakh By Delhi Court
- India rejects last appeal of death sentence for 2012 rape
- Like Father, Like Son: How Sidharth Luthra Took Cue From a 1968 Case to Get Man off Death Row
- Nirbhaya Case: Another Convict Moves Delhi HC Claiming He Was Juvenile In 2012; Hearing On Thursday
Coronavirus India update: Over 10 lakh cases, 13,300 deaths in first 13 days of September have 736 words, post on www.moneycontrol.com at September 13, 2020. This is cached page on Business News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.