Tyeb Mehta is considered a rock star of Indian art and the high-powered, highly competitive global art auction world.The late artist, one of the stalwarts of India’s Progressive Art Group (PAG), has consistently drawn top dollars in the auction market. In 2018, his work, Kali—a dramatic painting with the goddess in blue colour with a red mouth — set a world record of $4 million in a physical, on-ground auction.And now another of Mehta’s painting, Falling Figure created a new benchmark in post-lockdown online auctions by realising $975,000, achieving the highest price for a South Asian Modern + Contemporary work since lockdown in Christie’s New York’s sale, which was part of the Asian Art Week online.Close Paintings by other iconic Indian artists that realised very good auction sales included Maqbool Fida Husain’s Untitled (Woman at Work), which sold for $300,000, and Francis Newton Souza’s Frightened Head, which realised $250,000. related news Luxury concierges, at-home services soothe lockdown woes of privileged few Travel: 75th anniversary of Hiroshima bombing MF Husain, VS Gaitonde, Tyeb Mehta paintings dominated 2017 modern art scene with Rs 252.3 cr sales A painting by Maqbool Fida Husain.Mehta’s Untitled painting from the Falling Figure series, among his seminal explorations, has come into the auction market for… Read full this story
- 10 Guinness World Records about dogs
- 62-Foot Wave Off Iceland Smashes World Record
- Two months in a barrel: South African man set to break pole-sitting world record
- The New U.S.-Russia Space Race Has Begun (But Moscow May Be Bluffing)
- Humans could become vectors for new coronavirus but risk low, say China health authorities
- Chuck D Slams Recording Academy Ousting CEO Deborah Dugan: “It Reeks Of The Same Old Jive”
- Ethiopia PM asks South Africa leader to help in dam dispute
- Former Post Office boss branded 'heartless' by postmasters wrongly jailed over IT glitch FINALLY apologises to them as she says she's sorry she was 'unable to find a solution'
- How to make the world happier – and why it should be our first priority
- Chloe Ferry gives a sneak peek at her 'secret' new home complete with huge master bedroom, walk-in wardrobes and luxurious en-suite
Tyeb Mehta sets new world record for South Asian art at Christie’s post-lockdown art auction in New York have 366 words, post on www.moneycontrol.com at August 8, 2020. This is cached page on Business Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.