New York City’s recovery from the depths of COVID-19 has prompted a nagging question: How are people supposed to get around by subway and bus in the age of social distancing? Mayor Bill de Blasio fielded a couple of queries on that topic during his Thursday press briefing at City Hall. One reporter even asked if the mayor had a response to her potentially buying a car due to concerns about packed trains and buses spreading of the virus. “My advice to New Yorkers is: ‘Do not buy a car,’” he said. “Cars are the past. The future is going to be mass transit.” The mayor said he personally would “never own a car again.” De Blasio conceded, “People are concerned about their health and safety, I totally understand that.” But he noted increases of late in subway ridership. (Perhaps some of those strap-hangers read the New York Times article on Sunday’s front page marveling that subways “may be safer than you think.”) Related Story Los Angeles County Coronavirus Update: Total Cases Pass 200,000 As Deaths Approach 5,000 He said the infection rate in the city has fallen to just 1%, with a handful of hospitalizations on a given day,… Read full this story
- Watch Live: NYC Mayor Bill De Blasio speaks after Cuomo announces emergency COVID-19 facility
- An Ex-Cop for Mayor? Eric Adams Wants to Find Out.
- Biden says Trump's 'embarrassing' refusal to coordinate on virus response and start transition means 'more people may die' as he warns of 'very dark winter' before COVID vaccine arrives
- Trump rains on Ivanka's NYC parade: First daughter struts down Park Avenue as she returns to $4m pad in bid to reclaim socialite status - which will be even harder after her father threatened to withhold vaccine from New Yorkers
- Subway shoving, flamethrowers, shootings in NYC blamed on 'perfect storm' of police reform, pandemic
- COVID In NYC: Staten Island Getting Emergency Coronavirus Treatment Facility As More Restrictions Loom
- Drinkers head out in force before 10pm curfew as a QUARTER of Britain is locked down - with residents banned from leaving Cardiff and Swansea unless they have a 'reasonable excuse'... while London faces no-mixing order
- De Blasio Pledges Crackdown On Growing Homeless Epidemic On City’s Subway Trains
- COVID In NYC: Staten Island Reopens Coronavirus Field Hospital Not Used Since Peak Of Pandemic
- California Republicans rip Newsom’s ‘hypocrisy’ after governor caught dining out amid pandemic
NYC Mayor Bill De Blasio Tells Residents Wary Of Pandemic Mass Transit: “Do Not Buy A Car. Cars Are The Past” have 393 words, post on deadline.com at August 6, 2020. This is cached page on Business Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.