One year later, El Paso is remembering one of the most painful days in its history.
On Aug. 3, 2019, an alleged white supremacist entered a local Walmart and shot and killed 23 people in the deadliest attack on Hispanics in modern U.S. history.
Survivors and families of victims gathered at the city’s new “healing garden” to pray and remember on the eve of the shooting anniversary.
In remembrance, El Paso will light 23 luminarias at Cleveland Square Park, tie orange ribbons against gun violence at a memorial in Ponder Park, and host a drive-through luminaria path at Ascarate Park. Social media hashtags #elpasostrong and #atimetoremember will also mark the day.
“We will show the world how to love your neighbors as yourself,” El Paso Mayor Dee Margo said in a service at the garden on Aug. 2, the El Paso Times reports.
“The five stages of grief are denial, anger, bargaining, sadness and acceptance,” Margo said. “A sixth has now been added: What is the meaning of this tragedy to families who have lost loved ones, to our city and to our region? After prayerfully considering this, my only answer is: We shall not fear.”
- El Paso
- Carlos Asuaje was optioned to El Paso; Good thing he hadn't left yet
- Kazuhisa Makita looking to start anew in return from El Paso
- Sabika Sheikh embraced U.S. culture. One of its darkest elements — a mass shooting — killed her.
- Thurston 20 years later: 'I never want to cover another school shooting'
- Father of children killed in Australia mass shooting says their grandfather planned the attack
- Months later, police still can't answer the why of Las Vegas mass shooting
- Mass shootings continue
- Thurston 20 years later: Survivors call it 'our shooting,' now one among so many
- Osmington murder-suicide suspect, grandfather Peter Miles, sounded vague’ day before worst mass shooting in Australia for 22 years
- The history of mass shootings in Texas
- El Paso Super PAC Is Shrouded in Mystery
El Paso remembers mass shooting one year later have 633 words, post on www.chron.com at August 3, 2020. This is cached page on Business Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.