MANILA, Philippines — The postponement of the 3×3 men's basketball Olympic qualifier turned out to be a blessing in disguise for the Philippine team, Ryan Gregorio said.
Gregorio, who serves as special assistant to Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas president Al Panlilio, said pushing back the qualifying date on May 26-30 next year in Austria provides the Filipinos more time to practice and build their chemistry.
"I don't think we have enough preparation had the tournament already started, " admitted Gregorio in Filipino in a story on the PBA website. "Because it would've coincided with the schedule of the PBA and the players also have other schedules of their own."
The qualifying tournament was originally set to take place last March 18-22 in India before it was rescheduled by Fiba due to the coronavirus pandemic.
"Because it was moved, the 20 countries and its players are back to zero when it comes to conditioning and preparation," he said.
"As soon as we're given clearance by IATF to resume basketball and return to play, we're going to have a great opportunity to play together to improve our chemistry and camaraderie," Gregorio added.
Bannering the Gilas 3×3 team are CJ Perez, Mo Tautuaa and amateur standouts Joshua Munzon and Alvin Pasaol.
Perez and Tautuaa were part of the PH squad that bagged the inaugural 3×3 men's basketball gold in the 2019 Southeast Asian Games.
Get the hottest sports news straight into your inbox
- Xander Schauffele lands Olympic golf gold medal as Team GB star Paul Casey and Rory McIlroy miss out in bronze play-off
- Fourth Straight Olympic Gold! Kevin Durant Leads Team USA to Victory Against France in Rematch
- Michael Martinez won’t compete in Beijing Winter Olympics qualifiers
- PV Sindhu, Saina Nehwal to compete for first time since coronavirus break
- Nikita Ducarroz Hopes To Put Women’s Freestyle BMX On The Map At Tokyo Olympics
- Belgian Women’s Basketball Team Inspiring Next Generation Ahead Of Olympic Debut
- Tokyo 2020 Olympics postponed due to the coronavirus outbreak
- Vietnam's Olympics performance to be reviewed, experts call for bigger investment
- The real Incredibles: First ever Olympics refugee team and the most inspiring story you'll read today
- Morgan Lake interview: 'I've never had so much time on my hands - and I've realised how beneficial that can be'
- Olympics opening ceremony RECAP: Tokyo 2020 begins as Naomi Osaka lights Olympic flame
- FAST FACTS: Who is Olympic medalist Carlo Paalam?
- In defence of Olympians (not the Olympics)
- Neeraj Chopra: The New Gold Standard Of Indian Sports | Olympics News
- Tokyo 2020 Olympics: Ed Clancy announces retirement after suffering recurrence of back injury
- Tokyo Olympics athlete collapses - Russian archer stretchered off in searing heat
- Ross Wilson is in Tokyo to win as sports charity prepares to watch 'inspiration'
- Tokyo Olympics 2020: Helen Glover becomes first ever mum to row for Team GB
- Skier Gus Kenworthy Is Ready for His 'Swan Song' at the Beijing Winter Olympics
- Olympic cyclist Olivia Podmore's best friend says star left heartbreaking suicide note
Rescheduled Olympic qualifier gives Gilas 3×3 team more time to prepare have 494 words, post on sports.inquirer.net at June 30, 2020. This is cached page on Business News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.