A spike in harassment of Asian-Americans since the coronavirus pandemic began has led community activists in the United States to fight back – forming street patrols, rallying on social media, and supporting each other online.Asians of varying national backgrounds have suffered a surge of attacks this year, which activists linked to the pandemic’s emergence in China. Some said they feared harassment could worsen in a US election year, with US-China tensions ratcheting up over trade, Hong Kong and the coronavirus.”When China is made the enemy, people who look like Chinese are the enemy. The economy is tanking, people are dying. They’re angry and fearful and want to take it out on Asian Americans even more,” said Russell Jeung, professor of Asian-American studies at San Francisco State University.Close Since March 19, over 1,800 cases of harassment related to the coronavirus pandemic have been reported to Stop AAPI Hate, a website Jeung created with two advocacy groups. related news India needs intelligent lockdown exit strategy: SBI report Coronavirus impact: Cricket West Indies to temporarily halve salaries of staff and players In pics | Surface spread, another mode of coronavirus transmission; all you need to know about it Nine out of 10 victims… Read full this story
- Burger King faces stark criticism for what many social media users are saying is a culturally insensitive ad. Here it is.
- Wil Wheaton on quitting social media: "I don’t deserve to be treated so terribly"
- Mother of murdered teen who was groomed online calls on ministers to go further in social media crackdown
- Mother of murdered teenager Breck Bednar calls for Government social media crackdown to go further
- How Brits could be jailed in Dubai for social media posts made YEARS ago
- How social media is helping Big Tobacco hook a new generation of smokers
- The IRS Wants to Investigate Tax Dodgers via Social Media
- Social media firms including Facebook and Twitter to be legally forced to protect users
- Lush UK Is Breaking Up With Social Media
- Move Over Fake News Media, Trump Hates Social Media Too Now
US Asians, harassed over coronavirus, push back on streets, social media have 348 words, post on www.moneycontrol.com at May 30, 2020. This is cached page on Business Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.