(CNN)Several top Trump administration officials on Sunday continued to predict dire, Depression-era unemployment numbers for the month of May, days after the official US jobless rate surged for the month of April amid the coronavirus crisis. On Friday, the Bureau of Labor Statistics reported that the US economy lost 20.5 million jobs in April, with the unemployment rate reaching 14.7% that month. And Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin gave an even steeper figure on Sunday when asked in an interview with Fox News where unemployment stands after taking into account the people who filed claims after the latest report stopped around the middle of the month. Mnuchin, asked by Fox’s Chris Wallace whether “we (are) talking close to 25% at this point, which is Great Depression neighborhood,” responded, “We could be,” adding that the administration expects the numbers to improve in the coming months. “But let me just emphasize, unlike the Great Depression where your economic issues that led to this, we closed down the economy,” Mnuchin said. “So it wouldn’t be a surprise if you closed down the economy that in half of the workforce, half the people didn’t work.” Trump administration officials say fourth economic stimulus package is premature… Read full this story
- The Latest: Anti-Trump GOP deploying forces to Ohio
- Latest Pac-12 officiating mess couldn’t have been handled worse
- The Latest: London Olympic official defends doping tests
- The Latest: Russian track official admits to ‘problems’
- NFL Latest: Vinatieri, Walker hit milestone numbers
- NFL Latest: Peyton Manning, officially a backup quarterback
- Jay-Z Called Your President a ‘Superbug,’ and Trump Responded With Black Unemployment Figures
- Nancy Pelosi expects televised impeachment hearings THIS MONTH - but warns that the Democrats' case against Donald Trump has to be 'ironclad'
- House Sees Red on Rep. Al Green’s Effort to Impeach Trump
- Donald Trump, lifelong New Yorker, says he is a resident of Florida
The latest predictions from Trump officials on unemployment numbers are dire have 317 words, post on edition.cnn.com at May 10, 2020. This is cached page on Business Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.