The next #Verzuz is taking us to Jamaica, with a classic 90s-style sound clash between two dancehall giants: Beenie Man and Bounty Killer. Both men are beloved in the dancehall community and are credited with helping the genre transcend Jamaica’s borders and win worldwide acclaim. advertisement advertisement View this post on Instagram Memorial Day weekend special ???? @grunggaadzilla vs @kingbeenieman sound clash edition from Jamaica ???????? @Verzuztv what are you wearing ????? @therealswizzz ???????????????????????????????? A post shared by Timbo the King (@timbaland) on May 20, 2020 at 11:43am PDT It’s not surprising that dancehall blew up given that it is a cousin to hip-hop—another dominant musical genre rooted in African musical traditions. It’s worth noting that some of hip-hop’s pioneers in the United States come from Caribbean backgrounds, and like hip-hop, dancehall began to develop in the late 70s with deejays (in the United States we call them rappers or MCs) toasting. Toasting is the art of lyrical chanting or sing-talking over rhythms (riddims)—think along the lines of spoken word and rap but in patois. Dancehall blew up in Jamaica in the 80s, and by the 90s it started to spread around the world—following the Jamaican diaspora as there was… Read full this story
- Kim Kardashian wows Instagram fans as she shows off killer curves on Cabo holiday
- ‘The Wrong Man’ musical’s epic journey to the stage, with help from Team ‘Hamilton’
- Chinese man, 56, catches the killer coronavirus 'within 15 SECONDS' of standing next to an infected woman at a market
- Christmas Gift Guide: Presents for Grandad
- A GIF Guide to the Boys Who Won Charli XCX’s ‘Boys’ Video
- The best Valentine’s Day gifts for the man in your life
- Vandal arrested after graffiti tagging 'Penis Man' more than 40 times around Arizona town in 'protest against corrupt local government'
- The playlist – reggae and dancehall: Bunji Garlin, South Rakkas Crew, Bonjay
- A house by the sea for £265k within an hour's commute of London? Sarah Beeny heads to the Kent coast to pick her bargain property of the month
- Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order lightsaber colors guide - plus double bladed and dual wield lightsaber unlocks!
The fan’s guide to Beenie Man and Bounty Killer’s epic dancehall rivalry have 363 words, post on www.fastcompany.com at May 23, 2020. This is cached page on Business Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.