BRUNSWICK, GA—The killing of an unarmed black man at the hands of armed white men here has sparked outrage and drawn fresh attention to the state’s stand-your-ground law. Twenty-five-year-old Ahmaud Arbery was running down a street in the city’s Satilla Shores neighborhood early in the afternoon of Feb. 23 when he caught the attention of Gregory McMichael. A former cop and investigator with the local district attorney’s office, McMichael was sitting in his son Travis’ front yard. “Travis, the guy is running down the street let’s go,” Gregory told his son, according to a police report obtained by The New York Times. The men, who are white, said they suspected Arbery, who is black, might be connected to recent thefts in their neighborhood. They grabbed weapons — a shotgun and a .357 magnum — and followed after Arbery in Travis McMichael’s pickup truck, which bears the Gadsden flag and its “Don’t tread on me” motto. A neighbor, William Bryan, joined the McMichaels in pursuing Arbery, according to police. Soon after, the trio confronted Arbery. According to Gregory McMichael’s account in the police report, Arbery turned toward Travis McMichael’s truck as he stopped and exited, and struck Travis. A video that… Read full this story
- Cop Who Killed Unarmed Black Man Now Teaches Class On Coping With Being 'Victimized by Anti-Police Groups'
- South Carolina police officer who shot unarmed black man in the back while he ran away indicted on murder charge
- Phoenix police officer won’t face charges in 2014 shooting death of unarmed black man
- Johannes Mehserle, white cop who shot unarmed black man Oscar Grant gets two years in prison
- Cop fatally shoots naked, unarmed black man ‘acting deranged’ in suburban Atlanta: police
- S.C. cop Michael Slager charged with murder in videotaped killing of unarmed black man Walter Scott (WARNING: GRAPHIC CONTENT)
- NAACP Calls For Cancellation of Speaking Engagement From Cop Who Killed An Unarmed Black Man
- Hillary Clinton calls family of Walter Scott, unarmed black man killed by South Carolina police officer
- Ex-cop who murdered black man receives hugs in court, prompting criticism
- Former Dallas cop sentenced to 10 years in prison for shooting her unarmed black neighbor to death in his own apartment
‘It’s Murder’: This Shooting of an Unarmed Black Man Is Roiling Georgia have 363 words, post on www.thedailybeast.com at May 5, 2020. This is cached page on Business Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.