The coronavirus has resulted in stress, anxiety, and fear—symptoms that might motivate a person to see a therapist. Because of social distancing, however, in-person sessions are less possible. For many, this has raised the prospect of online therapy. For clients in need of warmth and reassurance, could this work? Studies and my experience suggests it does. advertisement advertisement I am a psychologist and counselor at the University of South Florida. When our center named me its online assisted therapies coordinator, many of the staff initially pushed back at the notion of providing services through the screen. These negative attitudes toward telehealth should have surprised me. After all, its antecedent, telephone crisis lines, have been accepted and effective for decades. But my field of therapy has often been disdainful of telehealth, opposed to “warm” psychotherapy work performed via a “cold” screen. Its resistance to the concept has changed little over the years. Research suggests, however, that online therapy works just as well as traditional face-to-face therapy. Studies, looking at outcomes for clients and the quality of their relationships with therapists, found them equal across telehealth and in-person conditions. Since this meta-analysis (92 studies and 9,000 clients), many other studies have confirmed… Read full this story
- Is Online Therapy Legit?
- Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy – An Effective Treatment for Pets
- Pills and Chat: Combo Therapy Can Effectively Treat Schizophrenia
- New experiment in tech retraining blends online learning with in-person mentors
- Statin Therapy Side Effects Go Away With Persistence
- iDrive review: Online backup for the person who wants everything
- Ladies, hire someone online to (just) sleep with you
- I Tried Flotation Therapy To Calm My Mind—Here’s What Happened
- The Depression Treatment That's Easy and Effective
- Why You’ll Want to Try IMS for Low Back Pain Relief
I’m a psychologist. Online therapy can be just as effective as in-person sessions have 297 words, post on www.fastcompany.com at May 29, 2020. This is cached page on Business Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.