close Video US states move to expand coronavirus testing capabilities Dr. Janette Nesheiwat joins Jon Scott with insight. Get all the latest news on coronavirus and more delivered daily to your inbox. Sign up here. The coronavirus pandemic has drawn fresh attention to farmers’ critical role in America, with residents finding some supermarket shelves cleaned out by people stocking up and then hunkering down in their homes. CORONAVIRUS: WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW GREENFIELD, CA – APRIL 28: Farm laborers with Fresh Harvest arrive in the early morning to begin harvesting on April 28, 2020 in Greenfield, California. (Brent Stirton/Getty Images) More than a third of the country’s vegetables and two-thirds of its fruits and nuts, for instance, are grown in California, whose farms and ranches brought in nearly $50 billion in 2018, according to the state Department of Agriculture. Agriculture groups and union leaders have urged employers to take extra precautions to prevent the outbreak from spreading among California’s farmworkers, who are already in short supply. Workers getting sidelined by illness could jeopardize crop yields and disrupt the food supply. Some farms are heeding the call, union officials and growers say. But it can be difficult to separate workers by 6 feet as… Read full this story
- Inside the UK's biggest food charity - which is keeping families fed across Britain
- 7 ways struggling parents can get help with home schooling including free internet and laptops
- Coronavirus live updates: Oakland airport debuts vending machines selling test kits
- Double your money! As magnificent readers help get computers to schoolkids during lockdown, big-hearted firms boost donations total to astonishing £750k
- Key takeaways from the first confirmation hearings for Biden nominees
- University demands freshers remove 'send drink' and 'f*** Boris' signs from their windows - as lawyers question whether keeping students locked in their flats is legal and culture secretary Oliver Dowden says they SHOULD be allowed home for Christmas
- The last plane out of Dubai! Influencers race to get leave UAE before flights are BANNED at 1pm and returning Britons are forced to isolate for 10 days on arrival amid furious row over Priti Patel's 'shambolic' holiday ban
- A problem shared...GP and mother-of-four Clare Bailey gives her indispensable advice: Can anything help me get some sleep?
- Manaus is collapsing again. Is a new coronavirus variant to blame?
- COVID Relief Plan: Biden's Policy Already Harming, Not Helping, US Economy, Investor Argues
Farmworkers key to keeping America fed wary of coronavirus but getting help from initiatives giving back have 388 words, post on www.foxnews.com at May 10, 2020. This is cached page on Business Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.