The Tesla and SpaceX founder – who Forbes estimates has a net worth of $US38.7 billion ($A60 billion) – is remaining true to his word, as two of his properties popped up on US real estate website Zillow.
One is a five-bedroom ranch-style home with an asking price of $US9.5 million ($AU 14.7 million) while the other is a six-bedroom mansion worth $US30 million ($AU 46.5 million).
The grander property is a six-bedroom, 11-bathroom, 1,490 sqm mansion complete with a tennis court and a two-storey library, with the second – a 250sq ranch-style spread – is just across the street, and used to belong to actor Gene Wilder.
Skeptics immediately questioned whether Musk was serious, latching onto the fact that the properties were listed by owner and that Musk’s asking price for the bigger house was well above the $US 20.6 million value estimate assigned by Zillow.
Musk paid $US 17 million for the house in 2012.
Musk on Friday tweeted that he was “selling almost all physical possessions,” and “will own no house” as he seeks to devote his life “to Mars and Earth.”
“Don’t need the cash,” the eccentric billionaire said. “Possession just weigh you down.”
Musk bought the Wilder house — a 5-bedroom, 4.5-bath with an oval pool overlooking the Bel Air Country Club’s golf course — in 2013 for $US 6.75 million.
“Just one stipulation on sale: I own Gene Wilder’s old house,” Musk tweeted.
“It cannot be torn down or lose any its soul.”
The listings surfaced late Sunday after a wild week for Musk and his investors.
On Friday, after a profanity-laced rant against “fascist” Bay Area coronavirus lockdowns during Tesla’s earnings call last week, Musk tweeted that Tesla’s “stock price is too high imo,” sending the company’s shares down nearly 10 per cent.
The South Africa-born Musk’s tweet about Tesla’s stock price provoked an outcry from corporate-governance experts, who said it will likely get him into trouble with the Securities and Exchange Commission.
The tweets come almost a year to the day after Musk was forced to cut a settlement with the SEC over a misleading 2018 tweet in which he had said he was thinking of taking Tesla private at $420 a share.
It comes after Musk and his girlfriend Grimes gave birth to a baby boy Tuesday, and the Tesla boss later revealed on Twitter that they had named the boy “X Æ A-12”.
Tesla shares this week were recently up 6 per cent at $743.89.
Dream homes that’ve sold during COVID-19
Dream homes that’ve sold during COVID-19
Parts of this story originally appeared in the NY Post and were republished with permission.
- Tupac’s Los Angeles mansion on the market for $2.6M
- It looks like Elon Musk and Grimes stopped following each other on Instagram and Twitter (TSLA, FB, TWTR)
- Elon Musk releases plans for tunnel transportation system: Long Beach to Valley at 125 mph
- Elon Musk Confronts a Fateful Tweet and an ‘Excruciating’ Year
- Elon Musk Confronts a Fateful Tesla Tweet and an ‘Excruciating’ Year
- Elon Musk Details ‘Excruciating’ Personal Toll of Tesla Turmoil
- Tesla short sellers raked in $1 billion after Elon Musk revealed his personal struggles in an eye-opening interview (TSLA)
- Elon Musk 'Never Even Met' Azealia Banks, Who Accused Him of Taking Acid and 'Scrounging for Investors'
- Tesla stock dips as Elon Musk weathers ongoing turmoil
- Azealia Banks Posts Photos of Apparent Texts with Grimes Discussing Elon Musk's Penis
- What happened to Elon Musk’s Instagram?
- What Happened with Azealia Banks, Elon Musk and Grimes? Everything You Need to Know
- Elon Musk, Tesla's CEO, describes "excruciating year"
- Elon Musk is not a conventional CEO — stop expecting him to be
- Has Azealia Banks revealed Elon Musk to be the new Howard Hughes?
- Elon Musk, Aretha Franklin, ‘Disenchantment’: Your Friday Briefing
- Pot Topics: Beer maker invests billions in cannabis; Elon Musk slams weed use
- Elon Musk's wife files to divorce billionaire mogul
- For $20, you could win a tour of Elon Musk's Boring Company tunnels under Los Angeles
- Elon Musk's plan to reduce Los Angeles traffic jams 'may cause motion sickness'
Elon Musk lists multiple Los Angeles mansions after saying he will ‘own no house’ have 857 words, post on www.news.com.au at May 6, 2020. This is cached page on Business News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.