The break-up of the Rs 20 lakh crore fiscal stimulus has generated a lot of discussion. While reviewing the various policy measures, I was taken back to an earlier era — the post bank nationalization period of the 1970s. Measures such as credit guarantees, interest subvention, Viability Gap Funding, support for MSME (Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises) and agriculture etc. remind one of those days.The impact of the COVID-19 crisis has been so acute that it has left the government with little choice but to consider measures often regarded as relics of the past. We will discuss credit guarantees (CG) in this piece, tracking its history from the 1960s to its most recent avatar.Idea of Credit Guarantee The Indian government first started giving credit guarantees to the Small Scale Industry (SSI) in 1960. The guarantee fee was levied at 0.25 percent of the guarantee amount, which was deemed high by industrialists. The RBI’s Industrial Finance Department administered the scheme.Close In the late 1960s, discussions picked up over making banks more socially responsible by asking them to give loans or open branches in neglected sectors/areas. It is interesting to note that the then RBI Governor PC Bhattacharya preferred credit guarantees over… Read full this story
- Govt. credit guarantee for education loan in Haryana
- Onshore wind 'to make comeback in UK'
- Jimenez, making comeback with Rockies, solid in short outing
- We see credit demand picking up from this quarter: CFO, Shriram Transport Finance
- Rugby star who was banned from the sport for taking steroids as a teenager turns heads with his VERY ripped biceps as he makes a comeback
- GOP senator wants to exclude the rich from electric vehicle tax credit
- What is pension credit, how do you claim to get a free TV licence and is there a calculator?
- 1.2million families missing out on £2,000 pension credit per year – how to claim
- Hollywood screenwriter Max Landis, who was accused by eight women of sexual misconduct, is attempting a comeback as a 'holistic creative coach'
- Debt sales make a comeback after coronavirus shut-down
Credit guarantees of 1970s make a comeback have 345 words, post on www.moneycontrol.com at May 30, 2020. This is cached page on Business Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.