Washington (CNN)The Trump administration is formulating a long-term plan to punish China on multiple fronts for the coronavirus pandemic, injecting a rancorous new element into a critical relationship already on a steep downward slide. The effort matches but goes far beyond an election campaign strategy of blaming Beijing to distract from President Donald Trump’s errors in predicting and handling the crisis, which has now killed more than 60,000 Americans. Multiple sources inside the administration say that there is an appetite to use various tools, including sanctions, canceling US debt obligations and drawing up new trade policies, to make clear to China, and to everyone else, where they feel the responsibility lies. “We have to get the economy going again, we have to be careful about how we do this,” said one administration official, speaking on condition of anonymity. “But we will find ways to show the Chinese that their actions are completely reprehensible.” Read More Trump and Biden launch battle over China that could define 2020 election The intelligence community is meanwhile coming under enormous pressure from the administration, with senior officials pushing to find out whether the virus escaped into the public from a laboratory in Wuhan, China, two… Read full this story
- Trump administration releases plan to reunite migrant children with parents in mass detention center
- Trump administration releases plan to reunite migrant children with parents
- In Philly, Sen. Casey demands Trump administration produce plan to reunite separated families
- Trump sets $50 billion in China tariffs
- Separated families: Trump Administration Creates Family 'Reunification Task Force'
- Wilbur Ross says Trump administration has reached "definitive agreement" with ZTE
- Trump administration very naive about Middle East, Iran: Khoshroo
- Will Trump administration tariffs impact your business or job? Calling All Readers
- Trump Administration Can’t Hide Jared Kushner–Led Office From FOIA Requests, Watchdogs Claim in New Court Filing
- Trump Administration Poised to Pull U.S. Out of U.N. Human Rights Council Over Israel Criticism
Trump administration draws up plans to punish China over coronavirus outbreak have 326 words, post on edition.cnn.com at April 30, 2020. This is cached page on Business Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.