We are just beginning to learn and feel the magnitude of the direct and indirect impact that this pandemic is having on the lives of women across the globe. COVID-19 is not just a health issue. It has complex interactions at the social, economic, cultural, political and gender relations level. Data reveals that the virus does not impact women as severely as men. Women do get infected and develop complications. Just less than men.Women are bigger casualties due to the nature of their work, the impact of the economic downturn, the lockdown and the stay-at-home mandate, adding to the existing deep fissures in gender parity. These will have a negative impact in the short term and will be more pronounced in the long term.Health workersWomen make up nearly 70% of the global health care work force. As nurses, doctors, therapists, cleaners and caregivers they are in harm’s way with gruelling schedules, compromised safety, lack of protective equipment and poor representation at leadership levels. The thought of how the pandemic will affect their own lives, and their families is a major source of anxiety and stress. Watching many patients die is a heavy emotional burden for many of these women with… Read full this story
- Coronavirus: Who Trump supporters blame for virus 'hysteria'
- Here is why you need to find yourself an executive sponsor
- The Hill's Morning Report — The wall problem confronting Dems and the latest on Dorian
- All 35 Video-Game Movies, Ranked From Least Bad to Absolute Worst
- BUSINESS NEWS HEADLINES MARCH 9
- How did the 'Berlin patient' rid himself of HIV?
- Coronavirus vs the flu: How they differ and why your winter jab won't help
- Coronavirus is coming EVERYWHERE says Tony Fauci as he warns the event calls for 'all hands on deck' and says people need to prepare NOW but stops short of backing closing schools - for now
- The Hill's Morning Report - Trump takes unexpected step to stem coronavirus
- The Hill's Morning Report — Dem ire at Barr intensifies
The virus versus women have 337 words, post on www.thehindu.com at April 11, 2020. This is cached page on Business Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.