New Delhi: The proposal by the power ministry to include hydropower within the renewable purchase obligation (RPO) targets set for the state distribution companies will provide greater flexibility to the grid, address variability of wind and solar power and ensure the optimum utilisation of hydropower in the energy mix, according to industry experts.Renewable Purchase Obligation (RPO) makes it mandatory for a discom to purchase a certain share of power from renewable energy sources. The ministry, in Draft Electricity (Amendment) Bill 2020, has proposed to expand the scope of RPOs to include energy generated from hydro-power sources.”The central government after consultation with the state governments, as may be considered necessary, prepare a National Renewable Energy Policy and prescribe a minimum percentage of purchase of electricity from renewable and hydro sources of energy,” the draft amendment said.ALSO READ: Indus Water Treaty: India must focus on speedy development of hydro projects, say expertsExperts say the move was long overdue for diversification of renewable portfolio in the energy mix. “We need to continuously expand the hydropower portfolio. Lately, we have not been able to give enough push to hydropower for multiple reasons; one being that water and water power are state subjects,” said Anil… Read full this story
- Revealed: Britain was hit by TWO blackout 'scares' in the last three months as experts blame the UK's over-reliance on wind energy for the worst power cut in years - but boss of National Grid claims 'the system worked really well'
- Renewable energy is growing, but NSW and Queensland are still undershooting their targets
- Modi government taking several steps to incentivise renewable energy sector: R. K. Singh
- What all the government is doing to improve the generation of solar energy in the country; here’s a round-up
- Renewable energy groups push NY to put a price on carbon
- 100 GW installed solar power capacity by Dec ’22: How far has India reached yet
- Back to the Future: Can Nuclear Energy Save the World?
- Trump imposes 30 percent tariff on solar panel imports
- New England Governor Calls For ‘Paradigm Shift’ In Policy To Combat High Energy Bills
- Energy industry deepens sustainability footprint
Including hydropower in RPO target for states to boost grid flexibility, address variability of solar and wind energy have 347 words, post on energy.economictimes.indiatimes.com at April 30, 2020. This is cached page on Business Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.