A HUSBAND and wife who were married for 73 years died within hours of each other after both tested positive for the coronavirus.
Wilford Kepler, 94, and Mary Kepler, 92, were together for seven decades when they passed away on April 18 at a hospital in Wisconsin.
Medical staff at the hospital placed their beds next to one another so the pair could spend their final days together.
“They were aware of what was going on, and they were at peace with it,” their granddaughter, Natalie Lameka, told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.
Mary had tested positive for the coronavirus on April 8 and was quarantined at home when Wilford fell on April 12, officials said.
According to the medical examiner, Mary died from the virus and Wilford passed from a traumatic head injury.
The loving couple had been together for 73 years, according to their family.
They both attended the same high school, but Wilford was drafted to serve in the Pacific in World War II before his class graduated in 1943.
They remained in touch while he was away, and they married when he came home in 1946.
“Our family lost the glue that held us together,” Lameka added to WTMJ. “It was definitely hard, but it was bittersweet.”
“They had been holding hands, and that was just heartbreaking to hear but also heartwarming to hear.”
Their granddaughter said: “We were just so thankful they were together and were aware they were together.”
MOST READ IN NEWS
HOT TUB FLYING MACHINE
Inside Boeing 727 plane converted into 3-bedroom home with hot tub
Mom who let baby die in maggot-infested swing moans she is bullied in jail
College basketball star and potential NBA Draft pick charged with murder
HONOUR OUR HEROES
Queen to lead lockdown VE Day celebrations with special address to nation
More Americans have now died from coronavirus than in the Vietnam War
Engineer who ate tank cleaner mistaken for Trump ‘cure’ remembered as ‘kind’
“They were able to say, ‘I love you.’ Losing them sucks, but the way they went out is something we’re going to remember forever.”
Mary and Wilford leave behind three kids, eight grandchildren, and six great-grandchildren.
Their family doesn’t know how they got the coronavirus, which as of Wednesday, has killed nearly 60,000 people in the US.
- Jennifer Lawrence and her fiance Cooke Maroney hold hands as they visit the Metropolitan Museum of Art in NYC... hours before stepping out for date night in the city
- Georgia Couple Married for 71 Years Dies Exactly 12 Hours Apart
- George and Barbara Bush’s ‘storybook’ 73-year marriage
- Barbara Bush’s heartfelt link to Georgia went back 73 years
- Man 'Marries' 4-Year-Old Dying Daughter To Fulfill Her Last Wish
- Missouri is a destination wedding spot — for 15-year-old brides
- Woman Finds 'Healthy' Husband Dead In Hotel Room Hours After Wedding
- George H.W. Bush told son, George W., ‘I love you, too’ before he died
- Families divided... for 80 minutes: South African wife, her English husband and their sports-mad twins among the hundreds of households across the UK who will be cheering for different sides in tomorrow's Rugby World Cup final
- Widow who claims she was disowned for dating 8 weeks after husband’s death ‘actually turned her back on HIS family’
- What was Matthew Mellon’s cause of death, what was his net worth and who’s his ex-wife Tamara Mellon?
- Idris Elba and glamorous wife Sabrina pack on the PDA as they attend star-studded launch of new Gordon Ramsay restaurant
- Cuban Father Gets Custody of US-Born Baby After Mother Dies in Childbirth
- 6-Year-Old Boy ‘Married’ Twin Sister, Supposed Lover From Past Life
- Woman Mutilates, Strangles, Burns Husband's Mistress To Make Sure She Is Dead
- Hospitalized George HW Bush tweets cheery message about wife
- Barbara Bush, Wife of One President and Mother of Another, Dies
- Nechama Rivlin, Wife of Israel’s President, Dies at 73
- Bride watched groom die just 13 hours after tying the knot from the cancer he was diagnosed with SIX DAYS before ceremony
- After 76 years, children Holocaust survivors reunite
Husband and wife married for 73 years died hours apart after holding hands during coronavirus battle have 668 words, post on www.thesun.co.uk at April 29, 2020. This is cached page on Business News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.