Rajeev SadanandanThe SARS-CoV-2 would have been a normal virus like any other, except for a genomic quirk that made it highly contagious. Like many other viruses, it affects the population disproportionately, i.e. it targets some people more than others — especially elderly males and persons with a compromised immunity, or those who have a pre-existing medical condition, such as hypertension, diabetes, heart ailments, etc.What makes COVID-19 dangerous is its highly contagious nature and that asymptomatic transmission is possible. It’s a new strain of a known virus, thereby no immunity or vaccine is currently available. So far more than 800,000 people have tested positive for COVID-19, killing about 40,000 in over 160 countries around the world. While the mortality rate among infected persons is less than 1 percent, it’s still dangerous because it infects far too many.Close However, this was not inevitable. Countries, such as Taiwan, Hong Kong and Singapore, which have the experience of coping with emerging pathogens in the past used their knowledge to deal with the threat at an early stage itself. Since the epicentre was known, these nations combined their data sets of immigration, disease surveillance and national insurance to locate persons who travelled from the epicentre. Their contacts were… Read full this story
- Canadian Vets Plan to Join Kurdish Fight Against Islamic State
- The best cell phone plans of 2019
- AT&T vs. Verizon vs. Sprint vs. T-Mobile: Who has the best individual plan?
- Switching to AT&T? We break down the carrier’s new unlimited and prepaid plans
- Leverage, deals & a succession plan: Mukesh Ambani has an eye on the future
- Elizabeth Warren Hires Planned Parenthood Leader to Head Up Presidential Campaign in Florida
- These Are the Best Places on Earth to Survive a Global Pandemic Threatening to Wipe Humans Out—according to Scientists
- Surviving in Nigerian business environment requires strong business focus — Biodun Omoniyi VDT, CEO
- How Tech Mahindra plans to use 5G to boost revenue
- A batting guide on how to hit like Ken Griffey Jr. in MLB The Show 19
COVID-19 | Advance planning and strong networking required to fight the pandemic have 341 words, post on www.moneycontrol.com at April 1, 2020. This is cached page on Business Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.