Britain’s nationwide lockdown during the coronavirus pandemic has seen the country use around 20 per cent less energy than normal. As a result, Great Britain has set a new record for how long the country has gone without using a single watt of energy produced from coal. At 6:10am BST this morning, the country surpassed its previous record of 18 days, 6 hours and 10 minutes. The coal free run is currently still going, with National Grid ESO saying it does not expect to bring any coal generation on to the system on Tuesday. The drop in demand as millions of Britons stay indoors has coincided with a fortnight of good weather, seeing energy consumption drop dramatically. Great Britain has set a new record for how long the country has gone without using a single watt of energy produced from coal. As of 6:10am BST this morning, the country surpassed its previous record of 18 days, 6 hours and 10 minutes Britain’s done it! ⚡️💪 It’s a new record for the longest period of #coalfree #electricity generation in this country. 18 days, 6 hours, 11 minutes 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘤𝘰𝘶𝘯𝘵𝘪𝘯𝘨. More to come on this – in the meantime find out more about… Read full this story
- Dramatic satellite footage shows 'notable drop' in air pollution over Italy after coronavirus lockdown restricts transport and industrial activity
- Queensland records one new local coronavirus case after partner of hotel quarantine cleaner infected with mutant UK strain also tested positive - as a Bunnings and a bottle shop are put on high alert
- Britain hits 400,000 daily Covid jabs: UK tops record for third day in a row as NHS drive continues to pick up pace
- No10 is examining plans to keep bars closed for FIVE MONTHS with full lockdown until late March as Covid death toll passes 80,000
- Boris Johnson will hold No10 press conference at 5pm today as up to 70 furious Tories demand 'road map' for lifting lockdown from March - amid fears he is ready to keep Covid restrictions in place until the SUMMER
- No10 slaps down Tory calls for 'road map' out of lockdown as ministers plot tougher borders and bigger bailouts - despite R number falling BELOW 1 and figures showing cases have HALVED in a fortnight
- Britain shuts its borders: Boris reveals ALL travel corridors will be suspended from 4am Monday and EVERYONE needs negative COVID test for entry as he warns new strains are being detected and scientists confirm 11 Brits have had Brazil variant
- Tory rebels seize on more positive Covid data and demand Boris Johnson rethink draconian tier system accusing PM of 'jumping the gun' as Britain's daily cases drop AGAIN to 16,022 while deaths continue to plateau and R-rate finally falls below 1
- MPs blast ministers for taking DAYS to ban travellers from Portugal and swathes of South America after learning about new Brazilian Covid strain - as passengers from Sao Paulo reveal they 'just walked through Heathrow unchecked'
- Pubs and restaurants could stay shut until JULY as councils are given power to extend lockdown rules
Britain goes more than 18 DAYS without using coal to generate electricity - a new record - as the coronavirus lockdown and good weather cause demand to plummet have 487 words, post on www.dailymail.co.uk at April 28, 2020. This is cached page on Business Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.