Washington (CNN)As the State Department arranges flights to bring back Americans stuck abroad by border closures and flight cancellations due to the coronavirus pandemic, many of those citizens and their families tell CNN they are still struggling to get clear answers from the agency tasked with protecting their health and well-being overseas. State Department officials told reporters Monday that they are organizing 16 flights in the next few days, deploying an emergency fund to charter flights and discussing the use of Defense Department and Department of Homeland Security planes to transport stranded Americans, some 13,500 of whom have reached out for help getting home and are now being tracked by the department. “No option is foreclosed out,” a senior State Department official said. The officials spoke a day after President Donald Trump said the government is “working very hard, long,” to help Americans overseas. Vice President Mike Pence added that, “We’ve been working very diligently through the State Department to make it possible. Their commercial flights have been chartered and we’re also working with the military for a backup on flights.” ‘Unprecedented challenges’ Read More On Monday, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo tweeted that “Americans abroad face unprecedented challenges” and… Read full this story
- Possible Parkinson's 'Pandemic' Looms
- Hurricane cleanup: How to stay safe when returning home
- The All-American Expo That Invaded Cold War Russia
- 13 Ways to Lose Stubborn Belly Fat For Good
- Doctors And Policymakers Struggle To Keep Up As Opioid Use Surges Among Women
- The Real Reason Why American Lives Are Getting Shorter
- Notebooks and VPNs: The tools of successful business continuity during a flu pandemic?
- Why There Won't Be a Deadly Swine Flu Pandemic
- Out of sick teen’s cancer ordeal, Haiti doctors find a new way
- The Latest: Rivers rise from rain and storm surge
13,000 stranded Americans struggle to find way home as pandemic surges have 293 words, post on edition.cnn.com at March 23, 2020. This is cached page on Business Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.