Greeshma HegdeIndia has started witnessing the consequences of climate change in the form of increased frequency and intensity of disasters (droughts, cyclones, floods), sea-level-rise, the melting of glaciers, failing agriculture and depleting natural resources.The impact of climate change is adding another layer to overall developmental challenges faced by the country, especially in the poorer regions. The Union Budget 2020 aims to create an aspirational India by focusing on better standards of living with access to health, education and better jobs. There is a need to understand the challenges the government will face in delivering these services in the context of the climate change.Close The challenges are two-fold. For India to develop economically, minerals, resources and fuels would be needed, but this also means that high amounts of carbon emissions will be released. With nearly 55 percent of the country dependent of natural resources for their livelihoods, climate change poses a serious threat. related news Budget 2020 | India is counting on achieving UN SDGs 1, 2 and 5 to meet its 2030 agenda Objective of kick-starting growth not addressed effectively in Budget: Garg Managing Money with Moneycontrol | How the new tax change in Budget 2020 will impact investment A report last year… Read full this story
- Fed up with climate change, trees are moving north and west
- Alabama Senate race: Climate change impacts loom, but candidates divide
- 'You're Politicizing a Tragedy': Conway Battles CNN's Cuomo on Harvey, Climate Change
- There's still hope to offset climate change impact, but it will be costly and formidable
- Obama: Paris climate change summit a ‘turning point’ to ‘save our planet’
- Brainard discusses climate change in India, Germany
- Kentucky classes lag in covering climate change
- Climate change funds: what will Trump admin do?
- Readers sound off on Derek Jeter, terrorism and climate change
- ExxonMobil investigated over climate change statements
The private sector can have a significant role in battling climate change in India have 302 words, post on www.moneycontrol.com at February 16, 2020. This is cached page on Business Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.