A FASHION designer who knew Princess Diana has given insight into how she may have felt about Megxit.
Paul Costelloe – who worked with the late royal for 15 years – has claimed she “wouldn’t be upset” by Prince Harry and Meghan Markle “stepping back”.
Paul suggested his friend – who passed away in 1997 – would have been supportive of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex’s decision.
He said: “She would say ‘Do what you need to do’, definitely.
“She was not a royalist at all, she was a person of the people and she put her children first before anything else.”
Paul, who dressed Diana until her death aged 36, first met Harry’s mum when she visited his Windsor shop in 1982.
He said: “She was lovely to dress and she was a very honest, sincere person. She was family orientated and she had a sense of humour – she liked to smile.”
The designer created the pink suit she wore for a tour of Canada in 1991, as well as a skirt for a trip to India in 1993.
However, she isn’t the only royal he has masterminded clothes for.
Paul has also dressed Princess Anne and her daughter Zara Tindall.
The Duke and Duchess were forced into an embarrassing climb-down over their trademark last week when they confirmed they would not use the word ‘royal’ after quitting their roles.
An essay, posted on their own Sussex Royal website, has since been slammed as “bitter” with experts saying it showed just how “unhappy” with couple were with the agreement.
Most read in Celebrity
I had to wait 2 months after birth to find out if our baby was a boy or girl
Mums go wild over Asda’s £1.30 Bedtime Mist that ‘helps kids sleep in 10 minutes’
BACK TO BLACK
Shoppers are raving about Lidl’s blackout blinds which cost just £6.99
‘they’re not worth it’
Emotional Mrs Hinch reveals she’s been trolled over her weight
TRAPPED IN HELL
My boyfriend beat me but I was terrified I’d lose my kids if I reported him
CHOP TO IT
Stacey Solomon shows off immaculate fridge as she meal preps to save time
In other royal news, we told how the Queen wants Meghan and Harry’s exit to be done and hates discussing it, says a royal expert.
We also revealed how Prince George and Princess Charlotte went lambing to experience “country life”.
- Princess Diana Birth Anniversary: How the princess broke royal protocol with her fashion
- 7 most expensive royal wedding dresses in order of price: Princess Eugenie, Princess Diana, more
- Royal babies born in the summer: Prince William, Princess Anne, Princess Beatrice, Princess Diana, Meghan Markle and more
- Emotional Naomi Campbell breaks down in tears as she attends the funeral of fashion designer Azzedine Alaïa in Tunisia after he dies 'peacefully' aged 77
- Outlander star Sam Heughan is voted the people's choice to take over the role of James Bond... as Daniel Craig prepares to step down after 15 years
- Royal fans in tears as Prince William opens up about ‘trauma’ of losing Diana in mental health documentary
- This 24-year-old designer just made $1 million selling used clothes online
- Princess Margaret’s lady-in-waiting says royal 'didn't believe in divorce': 'She had no choice'
- 15 shows to watch on True Royalty with your 7-day free trial
- Refinery29 is reeling from claims of racism and toxic work culture. Employees say it's even worse behind the scenes
- HT Brunch Cover Story: Meet Nimish Shah, India’s next big name in design
- Partying with New York's top designers and front seats at Fashion Week: The glamorous lifestyle of Bob Diamond's Princeton-educated daughter
- Why Lady C is called Lady Colin Campbell: Her disastrous marriage to raging alcoholic she knew for five days
- Snipes at minor royals, ludicrous claims her wedding netted £1bn - but, says RICHARD KAY, what really comes shining through from Meghan’s latest court documents is a royally petulant sense of grievance
- Ghislaine Maxwell’s alleged threats against Epstein victims revealed on 60 Minutes
- Meghan Markle and Prince Harry news: Duke discusses ‘challenges of finding resilience’ amid Covid after BLM video call
- Philip Schofield facing Ofcom complaints from furious viewers after Lady Colin Campbell row on This Morning
- Virgil Abloh responds to critics: ‘It’s glaringly obvious that I stand with Black people’
- JAN MOIR: Check your privilege, Harry, before lecturing us on 'unconscious bias' from your McMansion
- From socialite to 'child sex-trafficker': How Ghislaine Maxwell grew up as the 'favorite' daughter of disgraced newspaper baron Robert and went from mixing with royals, politicians and moguls to 'procuring minors' for billionaire pedophile Epstein
Princess Diana wouldn’t be upset about Megxit as she wasn’t ‘royalist’, says fashion designer who knew her for 15 years have 823 words, post on www.thesun.co.uk at February 24, 2020. This is cached page on Business News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.