New Delhi: Congress leader Shashi Tharoor joined the anti-CAA protests at Jamia Millia Islamia and Shaheen Bagh on Sunday night to express his solidarity with the agitating students and protesters. He was accompanied by Delhi Congress President Subhash Chopra and ex-Seelampur MLA Mateen Ahmed. Tharoor later went to JNU where he addressed the students and condemned the violence by a masked mob on January 5. While addressing the group of students at the university, Tharoor said that passage of the Citizenship Amendment Act is the first time a religious test has been introduced into the definition of Indian citizenship. Terming the Citizenship Amendment Act “discriminatory”, Tharoor asserted that it is against the ideals of unity espoused by Mahatma Gandhi. “The problem with the Citizenship Amendment Act is that it is wrong in principle. This is the first time that a religious test has been introduced into the definition of Indian citizenship. Never before, in our country has it mattered what your religion was to qualify to be an Indian citizen,” Tharoor said. “Whatever happened on December 15 is a blot on nation. Without any provocation, without any intimation to the vice chancellor, they (police) entered hostels and attacked women students…. Read full this story
- Lindsay Lohan On Mahatma Gandhi's Footsteps
- Narendra Modi is undermining the 'idea of India': Shashi Tharoor
- FAKE ALERT: Shashi Tharoor tweets photo from Nehru-Indira's USSR visit as one from USA
- On Mahatma Gandhi's 150th Birth Anniversary Today, PM Modi to Declare India Open Defecation-free
- The Mahatma Gandhi quiz: How well do you know Bapu?
- WATCH! Shashi Tharoor: 'Modi is a great salesman'
- Cricket's tryst with Mahatma Gandhi
- Floccinaucinihilipilification, What? That's Shashi Tharoor's style of book launch!
- Shashi Tharoor chosen for Crossword lifetime achievement award
- Hippopotomonstrosesqui- pedaliophobia! Don't worry, says Shashi Tharoor
Shashi Tharoor Visits Jamia, JNU, Shaheen Bagh; Says CAA Against Mahatma Gandhi's Ideals Of Unity have 298 words, post on news.abplive.com at January 13, 2020. This is cached page on Business Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.