The Jammu and Kashmir (J&K) Police, on January 12. confirmed to have arrested Davinder Singh (also known as Davindra Singh) – the deputy superintendent of J&K Police – along with two Hizbul Mujahideen and Lashkar-e-Taiba terrorists. Inspector-General of Police (IGP) Vijay Kumar, while addressing a press conference, stated that the senior cop would be treated and tried as a ‘terrorist’.
Singh, for his role in anti-terror operations in J&K, was awarded the President’s Medal.
Singh was detained in a car along with the two terrorists — Naveed Babu and Altaf— in south Kashmir. Soon after the arrest, the IGP said, “We consider DSP Davinder Singh’s involvement as a heinous crime and he will be dealt in the same manner as other arrested militants.” Singh has been booked under the Unlawful Activity Act.
The trio was caught red-handed with grenades and other explosives. In a subsequent raid, two AK 47-rifles were recovered from Singh’s house. The deputy SP is accused of ferrying the militants from the Shopian area, possibly out of the valley.
The owner of the vehicle in which the two militants and Singh were arrested is yet to be traced.
The DSP was posted with the anti-hijacking unit at Srinagar airport and was also one of the officials to receive the 16-member delegation of foreign ambassadors who visited Kashmir last week.
Singh will be interrogated by all security agencies.
Get access to India’s fastest growing financial subscriptions service Moneycontrol Pro for as little as Rs 599 for first year. Use the code “GETPRO”. Moneycontrol Pro offers you all the information you need for wealth creation including actionable investment ideas, independent research and insights & analysis For more information, check out the Moneycontrol website or mobile app.
- News Asian Games: Indonesian medal winners to help quake victims
- Sylvia Lim gave FMSS 'insider information' to help company in tender bid: Davinder Singh
- AHTC trial: Sylvia Lim ‘inconsistent’ in giving evidence: Davinder Singh
- AHTC trial: FMSS’ How Weng Fan wanted 'hopeless chairman' Sylvia Lim replaced, reveals Davinder Singh
- AHTC trial: Testy showdown between Low Thia Khiang and Davinder Singh over language use
- AHTC trial: Low explains reason for distrust of CPG, Davinder Singh says he's lying to the court
- AHTC trial: Davinder Singh accuses Sylvia Lim of lying to town council members, court and Parliament
- Sylvia Lim avoided calling for tender for new managing agent despite having time do so: Davinder Singh
- AHTC trial: Defendants used residents' hard-earned money to improve political standing, claims Davinder Singh
- Davinder Singh leaving Drew & Napier to set up own law firm