The Mumbai Police’s Economic Offences Wing (EOW) on November 11 night arrested two auditors, Jayesh Sanghani and Ketan Lakdawala, in connection with the Rs 4,355 crore alleged Punjab and Maharashtra Cooperative (PMC) Bank scam, an official told PTI.
The arrested duo served as statutory auditors of the bank when the scam occurred. They are suspected to have played a key role in covering up the irregularities involving some top officials of the bank, the official added.
“They failed to give convincing replies regarding their role as the statutory auditors of the PMC Bank. They were arrested on Monday (November 11) evening and booked under relevant sections of the Indian Penal Code,” he said.
Police had earlier called Sanghani and Lakdawala, the proprietors of Ashok Jayesh & Associates and Lakdawala & co, respectively, for questioning.
Probing the scam, the EOW suspects a nexus between some of the accused and Housing Development and Infrastructure (HDIL)group companies.
According to investigators, a deep-rooted conspiracy caused loss of public funds.
The agency had said that six people have lost their lives due to loss of money and the public is protesting over the irregularities.
The police so far arrested five persons, including promoters of the HDIL and top officials of the PMC Bank.
(With inputs from PTI)Get access to India’s fastest growing financial subscriptions service Moneycontrol Pro for as little as Rs 599 for first year. Use the code “GETPRO”. Moneycontrol Pro offers you all the information you need for wealth creation including actionable investment ideas, independent research and insights & analysis For more information, check out the Moneycontrol website or mobile app.
- Investigation Of Dui Cases - What Driving Patterns Do Police Typically Look For In Dui Cases?
- Orkut Users Beware - Google Might Disclose Your Home Location Or Your Computer Location To Police
- Walker County Arrest Records Online
- Milford Man Arrested After Disturbance In Orange Restaurant: PD
- Jokes from the News for Jay Leno 01: Police Jokes
- Police Open Fire on Sleeping Black Man in Locked Car
- Internet Scams - The 21st Century Crime - Are You a Victim?
- Bank Robbery Prevention Starts On The Front Lines
- Hi-Profile Identity Theft Scams
- Howard County Arrest Records Online