Former US President Jimmy Carter was admitted to an Atlanta hospital on November 11 for a procedure to relieve brain pressure from bleeding caused by recent falls, the Carter Center said in a statement.
Carter, 95, the country’s oldest living president, was admitted to Emory University Hospital about three weeks after falling at his home in Plains, Georgia. He was released from the hospital a few days after that accident.
A previous fall earlier in October required stitches to Carter’s face. In May, the former president broke his hip, also at home, requiring him to undergo surgery.
The procedure to relieve pressure on his brain was scheduled for November 12 morning, the Carter Center said, adding that he was “resting comfortably,” and that his wife, Rosalynn, 92, was with him.
Carter, a Democrat, was the 39th president of the United States, serving one term from 1977 until 1981. He was defeated in his re-election bid by Republican Ronald Reagan in 1980.
Carter, who received the Nobel Peace Prize in 2002 for his humanitarian work, has lived longer after leaving the White House than any former president in US history.Get access to India’s fastest growing financial subscriptions service Moneycontrol Pro for as little as Rs 599 for first year. Use the code “GETPRO”. Moneycontrol Pro offers you all the information you need for wealth creation including actionable investment ideas, independent research and insights & analysis For more information, check out the Moneycontrol website or mobile app.
- Former US president Jimmy Carter ‘deathly afraid’ over wife’s illness
- John Anderson dead at 95 – Former Congressman who ran against Reagan and Carter in 1980 passes away
- Football mourns ex-England captain Jimmy Armfield
- Norwich City’s unique place in the footballing life of Jimmy Armfield
- US presidents lead tributes to 'America's pastor' Billy Graham
- Obituary: Rev Billy Graham, charismatic preacher who counselled US presidents
- Carter feeling positive despite Masters exit
- Jimmy Kimmel attacks Donald Trump over response to ‘senseless’ Florida shooting
- Donald Trump Jr's wife Vanessa hospitalised after opening an envelope with white powder inside
- Helena Bonham Carter 'to play Princess Margaret in next series of The Crown'