Illustrative image (Source: VNA) Hanoi (VNA) – A conference was held in Hanoi on October 11 to discuss cooperation between Vietnam and Japan in seeking measures and technology to mitigate damage from flash flood and landslides. Doan Thi Tuyet Nga, head of the Department of Science-Technology and International Cooperation under the Vietnam Disaster Management Authority said that Japan, owning advanced technology in disaster prevention and response, has supported Vietnam in managing risks of natural disasters, especially floods and landslides. The administration has worked with experts from the Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) to translate documents to serve the building of plans on flash flood prevention and control, she noted. However, Nga stressed the need of stronger engagement of authorised agencies and scientists as well as support from developed countries like Japan. Vu Le Minh, an expert from the Department of Science-Technology and International Cooperation, noted that Vietnam is one of the countries hardest hit by natural disasters, including flash flood and landslides. He noted that as flash flood and landslides often occur in tough terrain, the search and rescue work is difficult. In August this year, only 15-minute flash flood caused 10 deaths and missing, destroyed 35 houses with total… Read full this story
- M25 lorry crash and flash floods bring traffic to standstill as closure between junctions 21 and 21A causes chaos
- Survivors struggle to cope with flood's aftermath
- Vietnam braces for Typhoon Sarika after deadly flooding
- Deadly typhoon slams Vietnam ahead of APEC summit
- Japan key to diplomatic encirclement of China
- Japan earthquakes – from the Tohoku quake and tsunami in 2011 to 1923’s Great Kanto – a history of disaster
- Is Japan's 'Abenomics' losing its luster?
- Typhoon heads northeast Japan after some damage in south
- Vietnam seeking to balance relations with China
- What Japan's defense policy revision means
Vietnam, Japan share measures to cope with flash flood, landslides have 285 words, post on en.vietnamplus.vn at October 11, 2019. This is cached page on Business Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.