PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — Major medical groups are issuing a call to action, hoping to find a new and better way to get more teenagers vaccinated. Vaccination rates remain low for adolescents, which has prompted several leading medical groups wanting to establish a 16-year-old immunization visit.
“It gives the opportunity for the pediatricians and families to sit down and review the vaccine schedule and find if there are any holes,” Dr. Jay Berger said.
Among the vaccines teens can get during the visit are the second dose of the meningitis vaccine that protects against A, C, Y and W strains, the meningitis B vaccine and the flu vaccine, depending on the time of the year.
“In addition, our teenage vaccines include the human papillomavirus virus — the HPV vaccine,” Berger said, “which we give usually starting at 11, but sometimes we catch up or start at later in the teen years.”
Data shows only 44% of kids complete the meningitis vaccine by their 18th birthday. Only 49% of adolescents have received the full HPV series.
Fifteen-year-old Andrew Stemberger is up to date on his vaccinations. His dad makes sure he sees the pediatrician once a year.
“My job as a parent is to keep them as healthy and protected as possible,” Allen Stemberger said.
Stemberger says his son will continue to get his vaccines as recommended.
“Because if he doesn’t then he falls behind and he goes to college and you’re never going to see him. Making sure he’s prepped up for the future is important,” he said.
Doctors say with flu season approaching, it’s important for teens to get a flu shot, but studies show less than half of adolescents between 13 and 17 years old receive the influenza vaccine.
- Predatory' uncle, 30, is found guilty of the 'sexually motivated' murder of his 16-year-old niece Louise Smith who he lured into woods and savagely beat to death before setting her body on fire
- Happy birthday, Gen Z: celebrating with 16-year-olds around the world
- 'Predator' uncle accused of murdering 16-year-old Louise Smith talked about taking anger management training before bludgeoning his niece to death in woods 'in sexually motivated assault', court hears
- Aurora man indicted for first-degree murder in 16-year-old’s overdose death
- Moment gunman and his 12-year-old hostage die in shoot-out with cops after the shooter had just killed boy's mom and housekeepeer and called 911 to say he was Batman villain Bane
- People are so unlikely to get Covid-19 a second time that they could be given 'immunity certificates' after a vaccine or confirmed illness, SAGE says
- 90 year old lady is first person in the world to receive Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine in UK
- Fossil 'shark spines' unearthed in an English phosphate mine a century ago are actually jaw fragments of 100 million-year-old toothless pterosaurs — including an unknown species
- I’m 33 Years Old. I Got COVID-19 Eight Months Ago. I’m Still Sick.
- 87-year-old Indian-origin man first to get Covid-19 vaccine in UK
- The FIRST to roll up their sleeves on V-Day: From 99-year-old WWII hero to nurse, 28, whose wedding was postponed by the pandemic... the brave Britons who beat the rest of the world to getting Pfizer Covid jab
- End of the road for Debenhams: 25,000 jobs in peril as JD Sports pulls out of buying 240-year-old chain just 24 hours after Arcadia folds - as Philip Green's staff demand he protect their pensions 'from his yacht in Monaco'
- Schizophrenic Albanian woman who stabbed seven-year-old girl to death at random in front of her parents in park on Mother's Day is found not guilty of her murder after prosecutors dropped the charge
- Face of Emily Jones's killer: First photo of schizophrenic Albanian woman, 30, who slashed throat of innocent seven-year-old girl in horrific random attack
- 12-Year-Old Ohio Girl Accidentally Shot And Killed By Neighbor Cleaning Gun
- 21-year-old made thousands from donations to fake 'Gay Voices for Trump' group
- David Beckham, 45, is digitally aged to look 70-years-old as he calls for action to help prevent deaths caused by Malaria in haunting new campaign
- Years-old murder shook town; new arrest causes aftershocks
- UK Covid cases rise by 16,298 and 504 deaths as teen, 15, with no underlying health conditions dies
- Senate invites fringe, unscientific medical group to testify about COVID
Leading Medical Groups Calling For 16-Year-Old Immunization Visits In Attempt To Get More Teens Vaccinated have 682 words, post on philadelphia.cbslocal.com at October 17, 2019. This is cached page on Business News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.