Evacuation orders were lifted for residents displaced by the Decker Fire Wednesday, the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office said.The wildlife, now at 6,667 acres, was sparked by lightning a month ago, nine miles south of Salida. As of Wednesday, the blaze was 14% contained, according to an update from the Rocky Mountain Incident Management Team.Authorities initially ordered those living in several neighborhoods south of Salida to leave their homes as the massive wildfire crept within two miles of the city. The rapid growth of the fire, largely due to unwieldy winds, prompted firefighters from across the country to aid local firefighters squelch the flames. As of Wednesday, 879 firefighters were assigned to wrestle the blaze. The Red Cross closed its evacuation center after evacuation orders were lifted, the organization announced Wednesday. The blaze grew approximately 200 acres overnight on its west and east sides, the update stated. Firefighters were flown to Methodist Mountain to tackle flames on the northwestern edge of the fire, but determined the area to be “too hazardous and inaccessible” to continue. That area “is of minimal threat” to homes and structures and therefore, will receive little action by firefighters, authorities said. Hand crews plan to continue attacking the fire from the… Read full this story
- Evacuation order lifted after 'inadvertent' TB release
- Evacuation ordered for residents living near grass fire in eastern El Paso County
- Pre-evacuation ordered for residents living near grass fire in eastern El Paso County
- Colorado wildfire update: La Veta Pass to reopen; evacuation order lifted on Lake Christine fire
- Hawaii volcano eruption brings new evacuation order
- Fire chief: Suspect in Holy Fire that put 20,000 under evacuation order texted, 'The place is going to burn'
- Hundreds of dogs and cats defy mandatory evacuation order
- Evacuations ordered in neighborhoods south of Salida for Decker fire
- Dollar Ridge Fire: Utah Fire Grows to Five Times Original Size, Burns 30,000 Acres, Evacuations Ordered
- El Dorado County fire burns 200 acres; evacuations ordered
Evacuation ordered lifted for residents displaced by Decker fire have 325 words, post on gazette.com at October 9, 2019. This is cached page on Business Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.