By Hassan Niazi Published: September 21, 2019 Tweet Email It is legally incorrect to say that Karachi’s administrative control can be transferred into the hands of the federation via Article 149 (4). Karachi deserves better than being embroiled in a perpetual tug of war between the federal and provincial governments. Karachi’s people put up with rampant crime, non-existent waste management, inept policing, poor infrastructure and chaos when it rains on a daily basis. Hoping for change but slowly losing optimism. However, Federal Minister for Law Farogh Naseem thinks he has found the solution to these problems in the Constitution’s Article 149 (4). But the federal minister is wrong. Article 149 (4) gives the federal government the authority to give directions to the provincial government under certain conditions. The important point here being that the federal government can only give ‘directions’. Directions which are not binding on the provincial government of Sindh under the Constitution. If Naseem believes he can take charge of Sindh through this provision, he is mistaken. Directions under Article 149 (4) can only be given under certain circumstances spelled out in the text of the Constitution. The first condition is that directions pertaining to the economy must have… Read full this story
- PTI man calls for AIG Mahar’s transfer
- Saeed Ghani claims to clean sweep Karachi in upcoming polls
- Fehmida, Zulfiqar Mirza join Grand Democratic Alliance, slam PPP
- Office 2016 for Mac vs. Office 365: What's best for you?
- BSNL Rs. 149 Pack With 4GB Data a Day for 28 Days Launched for World Cup
- Airtel Lowers Data Benefits on Rs. 149, Rs. 399 Packs
- Airtel Rs. 149 Pack Refreshed Again, Now Offers 2GB Data per Day
- Lawyers shed light on PTI’s decision of withdrawal
- UE Megaboom vs. UE Boom 2 vs. UE Boom 1: What's the difference?
- Sonos Play:5 vs. Bose SoundTouch 30: Which should you get?
What is Article 149 really about: Karachi’s woes or PTI vs PPP? have 301 words, post on blogs.tribune.com.pk at September 21, 2019. This is cached page on Business Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.