Steel rods produced at the Gerdau Ameristeel mill in St. Paul, Minn., sit ready for shipment in May. Japan hopes it can reach an agreement to be exempt from the Trump administration’s steel and aluminum tariffs and from the threat of auto tariffs. In exchange, Tokyo would grant America’s farmers greater access to the Japanese market. WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump’s administration risked turmoil in the financial markets and damage to the U.S. economy in waging his trade war with China, America’s top strategic rival. But the administration hasn’t exactly gone easy on America’s friends, either. From Europe to Japan, the president has stirred up under-the-radar trade disputes that potentially could break kout within weeks or months with damaging consequences. Trump is seeking, for example, to tax up to $25 billion in European Union imports in a rift over the EU’s subsidies to the aircraft giant Airbus. It’s also threatening to impose tariffs to punish France for a digital-services tax that targets U.S. Internet giants Google, Amazon and Facebook. In November, Trump could take his aggressive policies into uncharted territory by imposing tariffs on foreign autos and auto parts. This move would risk igniting a conflict with Japan and the… Read full this story
- On the Brink of Trade War: EU to Hit Back With Tariffs on Iconic US Goods
- Four key parts of Trump's China trade deal
- Is Donald Trump's Iran strategy working?
- Trump, EU chief to meet in Davos as U.S tariffs loom over digital tax: sources
- Trump demands immediate Syria CEASEFIRE from Turkey after threatening sanctions on Erdogan who is holding 50 U.S. nuclear bombs hostage - and says Kurds are Assad's problem so anyone including 'Napoleon' is welcome to protect them
- Trump trial: Ken Starr and no stripes
- Canada 'will not back down' over US metals tariffs
- Trump at Davos sends warning shot to Europe on trade
- Melania Trump's spokeswoman to be new White House press secretary
- Trump Opens Door to Trade War, America's Allies Ready to Retaliate – Analyst
Trump tariffs targeting allies, too have 346 words, post on www.arkansasonline.com at September 12, 2019. This is cached page on Business Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.