Thousands of people protested in the Swiss capital Bern Saturday over the roll-out of a 5G wireless technology across the country, which they fear could damage people’s health. The protesters, many carrying placards, gathered in front of the Swiss parliament building, in a bid to stop the construction of more 5G-compatible antennae. “The fact that so many people turned out today is a strong sign against the uncontrolled introduction of 5G,” said Tamlin Schibler Ulmann, co-president of Frequencia, the group that organised the rally. The tiny principality of Monaco became the first country in Europe to inaugurate a 5G mobile phone network in July based on technology from Chinese firm Huawei, which is seen by the US as a major security risk. But critics in Switzerland argue that the electromagnetic radiation the new system emits poses unprecedented health and environmental risks compared to previous generations of mobile technology. Online petitions have helped persuade several Swiss cantons — in Geneva, Vaud, Fribourg and Neuchatel — to postpone the construction of antennae as a precaution. The Swiss Federation of Doctors (FMH) has also argued for a cautious approach to the new technology. Opponents of the new technology are trying to gather the… Read full this story
- States can restrict protests on public health grounds, within reason, U.N. says
- Thousands of protesters ignore social-distancing rules as they join huge march against coronavirus measures in Germany as country faces rise in infections
- Risk of COVID-19 Cases to Increase After Black Lives Matter Protests, UK's Health Minister Says
- 5G unmade: The UK’s Huawei reversal splits the global telecom supply chain
- Could ‘Open’ systems negate Huawei’s influence on 5G?
- Apple set to release its new 5G iPhone 12 lineup in two stages starting with the 6.1-inch models first, report claims
- Demonstrators storm offices of landlord attorneys to protest evictions as New York moratorium ends TONIGHT with up to 14,000 families facing becoming homeless
- Coronavirus protests: Germany's growing anti-lockdown movement
- The changing dynamics of protests around the world
- Thousands in Berlin protest against measures to stem the spread of COVID-19
Thousands of Swiss protest 5G wireless over health fears have 348 words, post on en.rfi.fr at September 21, 2019. This is cached page on Business Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.