Check your bank balance, Avril Rhoades in Valdez, Alaska. Freeze your credit, Nazaryah Minnieweather of Victorville, California. And cancel your credit card, Jennifer Kelly in LaGrange, Georgia. A gang of thieves was selling your card information on a public Facebook group, and anyone willing to pay as little as $4 for stolen credit card information could use it to buy, say, a $1,099 iPhone and you’d get the bill. (Facebook shut down the group when notified of its existence by The Washington Post.) While microchips in credit cards have sharply reduced fraud in transactions that take place in stores, mobile and online transactions have become the low-hanging fruit of criminal opportunity. “Card-not-present” credit, debit and prepaid card fraud has ballooned in the United States in the last few years, reaching $4.57 billion in 2016, up 34 percent from the year before, according to the most recent Federal Reserve Payments Study. These shadowy crimes hurt both small businesses and the customer shopping experience.If you’ve swiped a credit card at a gas station that has a hidden… Read full this story
- Martin Lewis issues warning as credit card rules are changed again
- Best microSD Cards for Amazon Fire HD 8 in 2020
- Royal poll: how do you think the Queen and royal family have supported the nation during lockdown?
- My mum opened my 25th birthday card and I think she took the money inside
- Michael Gove accepts he can't guarantee all teachers will be safe as schools row mounts
- Social distancing for art lovers: A drive-in for safe Van Gogh show held in Toronto, Canada
- How an exposed nipple forced us to think about safe spaces and censorship
- Riley on CFB: 'Still think we have a really good chance of it'
- How to keep your pets safe during Fourth of July fireworks
- Trisha Goddard, 62, reveals her children were trained how to open parcels in case there was a bomb and had 'safe places' to visit in Norwich
Think your credit card is safe in your wallet? Think again. have 326 words, post on www.dailyherald.com at September 14, 2019. This is cached page on Business Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.