“West side, best side.” That’s the mantra of those dwelling on this end of Colorado Springs.Manitou Springs, just west of our city, is the gateway to Pikes Peak, nestled at the base of Barr Trail to the summit. Residents also delight in Manitou’s Intemann Trail, connecting neighborhoods to some of the region’s best nature preserves, including Red Rock Canyon Open Space. But most popular is the Manitou Incline, a grueling stretch of railroad ties that never seems to frighten visiting flatlanders.More rustic living is had farther west along Ute Pass, in the forested hamlets of Cascade, Chipita Park and Green Mountain Falls, the latter of which joins Manitou in becoming tourist central every summer. Manitou has plenty of funky shops and eateries to explore, not to mention the penny arcade, fun for all ages.It’s also the only place in the Pikes Peak region with recreational marijuana dispensaries. And if the reputation isn’t clear already, the town makes itself known around Halloween time, when people dress in ghoulish attire and race coffins.The main road running east becomes Colorado Avenue, entering another popular tourist hub: the historic district of Old Colorado City. The area maintains a certain identity with Victorian homes and… Read full this story
- Christian cake maker in Lakewood is now suing Colorado in federal court
- The Home Front: Group trying to restrict fracking in Colorado accuses signature gatherer it hired of being ‘paid to stop’
- The Home Front: Windsor is ‘the safest community in Colorado,’ according to new FBI crime data
- 40 things we learned in Week 11 of the 2017 NFL season
- Five art galleries that are changing the game in Denver
- Every year, the government reports how many people died crossing the border. That number is completely wrong
- Iowa State football: Meet the recruits the Cyclones landed on Signing Day
- Heartland strong: Road trip through Middle America reveals resilience, pragmatism, and diversity
- Canada's Laval University Shows How to Do Football Right
- Murray's Mailbag: Who is on Nevada Wolf Pack athletics' coaching Mt. Rushmore?
The Old West rules on the west side of Colorado Springs have 347 words, post on gazette.com at September 15, 2019. This is cached page on Business Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.