Eden Hazard’s performance in Real Madrid’s 3-0 defeat to Paris Saint-Germain was criticised by former Barcelona and Brazil forward Rivaldo, who said Los Blancos “escaped a historic beating” at Parc des Princes.
Former Chelsea player Hazard mustered a solitary shot off target and a single key pass before Madrid boss Zinedine Zidane replaced him with Lucas Vazquez in the 70th minute, with PSG leading 2-0.
Rivaldo said he was impressed by the French champions but questioned the strength of Zidane’s squad after Madrid laboured in the absence of the injured Luka Modric and suspended Sergio Ramos.
“PSG offered an exhibition even without Neymar and Mbappe, their biggest stars,” Rivaldo told AS. “Real Madrid escaped a historic beating.
“Eden had a bad debut match in Champions with Real Madrid, but even when you’re a great player you need your teammates to help you shine and prove your worth.
“When you don’t have enough players to supply replacements with the same quality, then the matter can get ugly. I think Zidane might be forced to go to the January market to recruit one or two great signings for the team.
“I think Zidane has a lot of work ahead to return this team to what it was when he won three consecutive Champions Leagues.”
Looking at his former club Barcelona, Rivaldo issued a word of caution to those talking up the potential of 16-year-old playmaker Ansu Fati.
The Guinea-Bissau-born teenager has made three LaLiga appearances for Ernesto Valverde’s side this season and was given his Champions League bow in a goalless draw with Borussia Dortmund on Tuesday evening.
Fati played 59 minutes of a cagey match before being replaced by Lionel Messi, but Rivaldo said it is too soon to draw comparisons between the two.
He said: “It would be putting too much pressure on his shoulders. He is still a kid who is not yet even a member of the first team. We will give him time and space to play his football and in the future we will see whether or not he is the new Messi.”
- Hazard return delayed as Real Madrid confirm 'fissure' in his right ankle
- Tottenham 0 Liverpool 2 LIVE: Salah and Origi fire Reds to Champions League trophy – latest reaction
- Bale’s Real Madrid humiliated by Ajax as they crash out of Champions League with heavy defeat
- Champions League draw: Man Utd draw Barcelona as Spurs face Man City in quarters while Liverpool land Porto tie
- Real Madrid's Eden Hazard Ruled Out Of El Clasico With Ankle Fracture
- Isco again a protagonist for Real Madrid under coach Zidane
- Real Madrid could offer Gareth Bale in swap deal for Man Utd’s Paul Pogba but Eriksen still a key target
- Cristiano Ronaldo faces Champions League ban for ‘cojones’ celebration mocking Atletico boss Diego Simeone
- Real Madrid already plan to splash transfer funds in January with Christian Eriksen and Donny van de Beek top of wishlist
- La Liga: Karim Benzema Scoring Freely For Real Madrid, Atletico Madrid Crash To Celta Vigo
- Eden Hazard out to make history at Real Madrid after unveiling
- Eden Hazard ruled out of El Clasico with broken ankle after Real Madrid star is pictured using crutches
- Fast Starting Bayern Munich Top 7/1 Champions League Accumulator
- Real Madrid to offer PSG Brazilian wonderkid Vinicius Jr plus cash in bid to force through Kylian Mbappe transfer
- UEFA Champions League: Cristiano Ronaldo's hat-trick helps Juventus outclass Atletico Madrid, seal quarterfinal berth
- Real Madrid blocked Cristiano Ronaldo from winning Ballon d’Or last year, claims Juventus star’s team-mate Chiellini
- Rumour Has It: Real Madrid want Eriksen in January as Inter target United's Matic
- Gareth Bale insists Real Madrid's best is yet to come
- Rumour Has It: Real Madrid zero in on Fabian Ruiz
- Cristiano Ronaldo signs new five-year deal at table-topping Real Madrid
Rivaldo slates Hazard's Champions League debut for Real Madrid have 624 words, post on www.sportskeeda.com at September 19, 2019. This is cached page on Business News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.