MEXICO CITY (AP) — Mexican Foreign Secretary Marcelo Ebrard said Thursday that Mexico’s government doesn’t agree with an “astonishing” U.S. Supreme Court order that would block migrants from countries other than Mexico and Canada from applying for asylum at U.S. borders. Speaking at President Andrés Manuel López Obrador’s daily news conference, Ebrard said that Mexico has a different policy when it comes to asylum seekers and would never implement such a rule. “Our policy of refuge, of asylum is a tradition in Mexico,” he said. “The United States has a very hardline immigration policy,” Ebrard continued. “The court’s decision is astonishing in the impact that it is going to have.” ADVERTISEMENT Ebrard declined to explain that impact, saying that he had various meetings scheduled Thursday to try to evaluate what effects the court’s decision will have on Mexico. But the ruling is likely to drive more Central American migrants to try to illegally enter the U.S. with the help of smugglers or move them to apply for asylum in Mexico, which is already swamped with applications. Mexico has long resisted a so-called safe third country agreement with the U.S. that would require migrants to request asylum there first, but the… Read full this story
- Govt 'unlikely' to tinker with Supreme Court order on AGR
- Telecom Companies Asked to Clear Revenue Share Dues as Per Supreme Court Order Within 3 Months
- DDCA Isn't Fully Compliant With Supreme Court Orders: Director Sanjay Bhardwaj
- Karnataka rebel MLAs welcome Supreme Court order
- Clear revenue share dues as per Supreme Court order: DoT to telecom operators
- DoT asks telcos to pay nearly Rs 93k cr in line with Supreme Court order
- Colombia's Supreme Court orders ex-FARC leader's release
- Supreme Court weighs whether Mexican family can sue in US
- Trump Won’t Own His DACA Decision. But the Supreme Court Might Choose to.
- Supreme Court steps into Google-Oracle copyright fight
Mexico says it disagrees with US Supreme Court order have 327 words, post on apnews.com at September 12, 2019. This is cached page on Business Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.